Anyone ever split the hull on a bass boat?

Cooper713

I am working on my bass boat i recently aquired. I am needing to replace the pumps in the boat. I can get to the bilege pump through the back, but cannot get to the livewell pump that sits under the gas tank. I am also wanting to check the lines going to and from the rear livewell that come out under the livewell and behind the fuel cell. Really wanting to clean out the hull really well & rewire pretty much everything. Just wondering how hard it is to do and any pointers on what to do & expect. Thanks.

Oldman

get you a cheap electric fuel pump and pump the gas out and then take the hoses and fuel sending wiring off and the take the gas tank out.i have had to do it on my bullet several times.

Cooper713

The gas tank will not come out without splitting the hull. I wish it would just come out. Ive already unhooked all the lines & wiring, but theres no way to get it out. Thats the biggest reason im wanting to split the hull.

Cooper713

Its a 1994 Sprint 286 Pro Tournament. 18.5' From the research ive done, the Sprint brand was owned by Stratos. Its very similar to the Stratos boats.

Attachments

• CAM00363 - Copy.jpg
    CAM00363 - Copy.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 918

south599

id do a lot more messing with the gas tank and standing and looking at it before (make sure its not bolted down at the base) i went with the at least month long process of splitting the hull.

Cooper713

Ive already removed the 2 latches that had it bolted down on each side. Its loose in the boat, but theres not enough room to even try to get it turned to get it out. I know it will be a long pain in the butt process, but im in no hurry to get the boat on the water. We have Todds boat to fish out of. I just want to do everything the right way while im working on it.

south599

well there on several posts on here and other boards such as fastbass.com that have detailed accounts and even pictures of the process.

south599

If/when you proceed on this project it would be awesome if you could start a detailed account of your progress on here with pictures and descriptions so that those that come after you will have a little easier time!

Cooper713

If i do decide to split the hull, thats what i was planning on doing. To try to help someone else whos thinkinng of doing the same thing. I still havent decided yes or no on the project.

Carl

i have split two boats. Both were riveted. Had to drill out 75-100 rivets and both separated easily. The putting back together was the fun part. A trick i learned after the first one, use ratcheting straps to hold the shape of your hull. It took 5 people with crowbars to get the first back together.

Cooper713

The putting the boat back together was the part i was most worried about. I think i may just cut the fuel cell into pieces to get it out. I need to replace it anyways, then put in a little smaller one that will fit through the lid. That way if i ever need to take it back out again, it will be much easier. Ive saw a bunch online that are 18-25 gallon for under $200. I think i may go that route.

foodsaver

that was what I came here to suggest. Cut that bad boy out and put in two smaller ones if you want the same fuel capacity.

Cooper713

I think thats my best option. Probably what i will do.

Strato-G

Does the seat come out & tank can be removed where seat is attached........ emoQuestion emoGeezer emoUSA

Andrew

Strato-G - 7/9/2013 6:22 PM

Does the seat come out & tank can be removed where seat is attached........ emoQuestion emoGeezer emoUSA

That's what I was thinking. If it's anything like a stratos that's where it would be.

Cooper713

Ive removed everything i can & theres just not enough room to get it out.

SPEED FREAK

see if you can get a rope under it and lift straight up get help this is a 2 man job unless its a tva then its a 12 man job.

fishindave

My first boat was an old Pro Craft. It had a spit in the seam where the boat went on the trailer runners, It was not an easy fix but not terrible. Found the leak, cut a hole in the floor, repaired the leak and the floor and went fishing.