Harrison bay ramp Fish kill

xpress19

I talked to someone and they said that their was almost 25 dead bass floating Saturday night after a tournament 1 bass was almost 10 lbs. I don't think killing the grass matters if we continue to kill our most precious resource..

jimwarden

It took eight to ten years for that ten pound bass to grow that big probably. With all of the technology advances we have seen since 1970s we still have to haul bass around in 90 degree live well water to prove who won. It's a shame.

xpress19

Almost everybody has a cell phone if not why cant people purchase a camera. Take a picture call the fish in and let her go....

All American

CBA only had a few bass in bad shape saturday night, and they where trying to save them when I left. It all boiles down to the fisherman not bringing Ice adding fish formulia and good aration!!!!!! You should not fish a tournament of you dont care about the fish. IF EVERY ONE WOOD DO THIS ,LIKE THE CBA BOYS. THEIR WOOD NOT BE ALOT OF DEAD FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labman

I would have to disagree with Spurhunter. In my very limited experience it is always the tournament fishermen. I have seen the disregard for the fish during a tournament several times. You cannot haul the fish around most of the day in this summer weather and expect them to go on there merry way. But I guess it is possible that those fish just swam up to the ramp and died on their own, but I doubt it.

mdjbro

Makes me sick, I love to fish as much as anybody , but hate it when I hear this and see it. I have to agree, let's catch and release. Why haven't we done a better job of policing this. Got to change how it's done, in summer months. Puts a negative light on all fisherman. Tournment guys follow-up and check your areas , clean up the dead fish. Thanks

jimwarden

The problem is (studies show) that many fish die after being released from the stress and low oxygen levels. We can't change it as it's the way everyone has decided to do tournaments, so let's enjoy these next two or three years while we can:-(

We were really lucky to have an extremely cool and wet summer last year, so we had outstanding survival of big bass caught in tourneys. We're going to more than make up for it this year looks like. Really tough to see it happen, when it's not necessary. I hoped I would see the day when "live" wells wouldn't be necessary.

Edited for salty duck...Speaking of hot water in "live" wells....if you are keeping crappie to eat throw them on ice as soon as you catch them. Keeps their flesh firm and they will taste much better.

hippi97

Wasn`t my tournament.. We had it at the river park saturday.. I think there was one out of HBSP friday night..

churly

Don't pin that shit on the CBA. These half bit mullet tournaments are killing the lake. Have no clue how to keep a fish alive....what a shame!

saltyduck

Jim I'm not a biologist but pretty sure a fish being released alive from a tournament has a better chance at survival then one thrown on ice.

Blue76

I saw a couple of guys a few weeks ago on a Saturday evening posing for the camera with a very nice group of fish. Several over 6 lbs. one guy dropped the big one on the pavement a couple of times trying to hold them all for the pic. Then they walked down to the water and tossed them in. In just a few minutes all of them were floating. This was at HBSP. My partner and I worked with a couple of them for a few minutes and they swam off but a couple more were too far gone. It was a shame to see them die just for a group pic.

fishinvol

I was out Friday and there 2 , maybe 3 tournaments out of Harrison Bay. When we got back to the ramp , there were 5 dead fish and a 4lber still clinging to life . Not sure about Saturday night, but IMO 25+ dead bass seems a little far fetched . Regardless I don't like seeing them dead anymore than anyone else, but the only way to stop it is to lay off all the tournaments . There are way too many in the hot months !

saltyduck

I wish TWRA would make organizations purchase licenses to operate tournaments, and also make sure they have proper equipment to care for fish during the weigh in process. And also put a limit on the number of licenses they sell annually.

How many dead fish did the CBA have Saturday night? Not trying to pick on the CBA by no means but would like to compare a 54 boat tournament to the 15 boat tournaments. I know someone knows because somebody usually takes them home.

JHeadrick

just goes to show that all the tournament anglers fishing need to start investing in an oxygenated live well system to help keep the stress off of the stress a little more. i have been shopping around for a good one before i mess my boat up trying to rig up one myself.