Killing Fish on Hiwassee

takenoprisoners

Friend just told me he heard a story on 102.3 that they're planning to release warm water into the Hiwassee via some reservoir - an action that will likely kill lots of trout. Supposedly they're doing this without alerting anyone.

I'm not sure who "they" is or any details, but wanted to check here to see if this is just a goofy rumor or if there is truth to it.

da83moon

Besides the trout it looks like it would affect other things living there like the Hellbender slamanders among others.

Sniperchoke

Yep its not all about the trout. Lots of Native Species would be affected. Hellbenders, Warpaint Shiners, various Crayfish, Chubs, Darters etc....

fishinvol

TVA called in and spoke about the situation. Sounds like they are taking all the neccisary steps to avoid warming the water. The spill gates are actually the same level as the turbines and the water temps at that level are in the mid 60's.

fishinvol

Yes, they called the show. It was very good on their part. They are going to be monitering the water temps down river some to make sure there isn't a rise in temps. If there is, there will quit the work, pull the divers and turn a turbine on.

stranahan

Yep, was nice how they were stating the water temps in the lake, but did they think about the temps in the bypass section that water hits the high 70's - 80's every year. The only thing that water is going to do at first is push the hot water down stream

stranahan

stranahan 3 minutes ago edited edit
Just am update for everyone, so far so good. The water temps have been stabilized and it looks like we are going to be ok. This is what has been recorded over the past couple of days on the river.
9/14 Sunday 11:20 am 0 release 70 degrees at the put in
9/15 Monday 8:59 am on falling water with spill starting to come through 68.5 at the put in.
9/15 Monday 9:11 am two turbines at the take out 65 degrees
9/15. 4:45 pm spill at put in 70 degrees
9/15. 5:20 pm spill at take out 71 degrees
9/16. Tuesday 1:45 pm per TWRA biologist at the put in 72.5
9/16 TWRA also recorded a 73 degree temp at some point.
9/16. 5:20 pm at the take out in 70 degrees
9/17 5 pm at the put in 68 degrees.
9/17. 5:09 pm at big bend 70 degrees
9/17. 5:18 pm at the take out 70 degrees

I have heard that the project may possibly be finished and that we should receive normal generation flow rates as early as tomorrow. I am not sure of the validity of the information so we will just have to watch and see.

All in all it looks like we have dodged a bullet on this one.