Cheaters

AT Hiker

Saw this in todays Times Free Press:

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. — Two North Alabama men have been convicted of cheating during a fishing tournament on Lake Guntersville.

A judge convicted Gary Lee Minor Jr. of Albertville and Robert Scott Gillaspie of Boaz after a nonjury trial Monday.

There were found guilty of theft by deception and tampering with a sporting event.

To avoid jail the men must pay $1,000 and court costs, spend two years on probation and perform 400 hours of community service work.

The men were arrested after winning a fishing tournament in Guntersville in April.

Another angler told the judge he saw the men stop at a dock and emerge with a large bass in a net that was taken from inside the dock.

The men indicated they'll appeal, but they're already banned from future fishing tournaments.

Jmax

It does not pay even in their case. I know what you are saying about only having to pay a fine of a grand but they will never be able to avoid the stain of cheating. They will not be allowed to enter any tournament where that is known. Their reputation is in the crapper for the rest of their lives. Not to mention the one guy who owns his own business. Would you do business with that guy, a known cheater, I would not. His business will probably go under. The other guy whatever he did he might loose his job as well. That kind of thing will be punished more by the community then it will be by the legal system. They may need to move.
(Cheaters) emoEnforce (Community).Jmax

churly

SpurHunter - 9/17/2014 1:29 PM

This is why crime pays. They won FAR more than their penalty cost them. :(

I disagree. Some North Alabama Mullets will make sure they pay for this. Both were local business owners.

Somebody who cheats in a petty dogfight wont hesitate to cheat on their taxes, wives, and everything else.
Crime NEVER PAYS.

churly

Thanks jim. Ive had the same one for like 5 years.

To expand on my earlier comment; lots of folks who cheat on their wives and the IRS would never think of doing what these guys did..

flpper

Never really understood if it was a "sanctioned" tourney or what is commonly referred to as a dogfight. For instance, if it was something like the CBA or a BFL or regional, you would think that the sanctioning body would have a civil recourse. The dogfights? I guess a few of the participants would probably just need to withdraw the proverbial "pound of flesh".