White vs Black Crappie

MrWiskers

I thought I would share a pic of a couple crappie I boated this morning. I know there are still some folks that don't understand the difference between a black and white crappie (has nothing to do with color). In the pic, the fish on the top is a white, you can see the vertical bars very clearly. The fish on the bottom is a black crappie. No vertical bars, just an even spotting on the sides. Also the whites are usually not as wide bodied, as you can tell from the pic. That was the only white I caught today out of 34 total crappie. Way more black crappie on the Chick than white.

Attachments

• Black vs White Crappie Post.jpg
    Black vs White Crappie Post.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,218

Tenncrapie

That is a good photo against the white background to show folks who don't know the difference. Most of the blacks are on the lower end of the lake I've found. Up on the Hiwassee wing there seems to be more white and blacknose. thanks for sharing.

Gator

Very helpful. Thanks

drumking

Great pic, Michael. Good explanation.

dk emoBigsmile emoGeezer

Nauticman

Many years ago I caught only white crappie. The last several years I've caught mostly black crappie. Probably partly due to the patterns I am fishing now versus the patterns I used to fish. I have an idea that the two types of crappie have some differences in the environment they prefer and I think I might know what these differences are. Question of the day: What might these differences be?

Jerry

In-Fisherman publishes a book on crappie and I believe there is a discussion of this in that book. I know I've seen it somewhere.

Joker

all i know about them , is they are both good to eat , and i catch mostly black crappie out of the upper hiwassee near childers creek .

troutfly

I caught what I assumed was a black a while back that had a very dark black stripe from the nose to tail. Could this have been a hybrid, or just a trait to this specific fish?

churly

troutfly - 5/26/2015 4:43 PM

I caught what I assumed was a black a while back that had a very dark black stripe from the nose to tail. Could this have been a hybrid, or just a trait to this specific fish?

Thats blacknose crappie. Twra stocked that one I would guedx

troutfly

churly - 5/26/2015 2:36 PM

troutfly - 5/26/2015 4:43 PM

Thats blacknose crappie. Twra stocked that one I would guedx
That's awesome! It was a monster.

djsmarinelectronics

Veerrrry interesting, by the picks and coloring I would have picked the top one as a Black Crappie; will have to pay more attention to what I am catching!