dont ya love arguing species?

Mr.Finesse

Just want to start a little conversation most of us can relate to. You ever in the bait shop and someone brings up what they caught and where, which leads to "You mean a rock bass" ...No that's a stripe, no that's a hybrid" etc. I just think its funny that a lot of fishermen have their own interpretation of the TWRA graphic of indigenous fish and how to identify them. I tend to be a technical person, I cant help it, its in my blood, lol. So, I think I may resort to calling bass their most general description to avoid arguments...sunfish...HAHA!

rsimms

It can be confusing. My farvorite is explaining to clients that a "stripe" and a "striper" are two totally different fish. Also very different from a "stripper." emoLaugh

That's why scientists are prone to always using scientific names... bass (largemouth) are Micropterus salmoides.

Now it's time for someone to organize a "Salmoides Classic Championship!" emoBigsmile

SpurHunter

The last time I was at Melton Hill Dam, we were catching a bunch of white bass, a boat pulled up and asked us if we had done any good, and we said it was pretty good, just catching some white bass.
He says, "we have done pretty good today too, caught a ton of hybrids.." Um, no they didn't, I wasn't there, but there are not that many hybrids, (AKA Cherokee bass) in Watts Bar lake to catch a "bunch" at one time. I suspect they caught the same thing we did, a bunch of stud white bass.

Mr.Finesse

rsimms - 5/29/2016 11:13 AM

It can be confusing. My farvorite is explaining to clients that a "stripe" and a "striper" are two totally different fish. Also very different from a "stripper." emoLaugh

That's why scientists are prone to always using scientific names... bass (largemouth) are Micropterus salmoides.

Now it's time for someone to organize a "Salmoides Classic Championship!" emoBigsmile

HAHAHA emoLaugh

rsimms - 5/29/2016 10:13 AM

You can throw a lot of money at all three of those. My home lake here is Percy Priest and we have white bass, yellow bass, hybrid and striper. It's fun!