What is this fish

cast4bass

Caught on a shakey head. Beautiful colors. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 855

Hook1

I've always heard these called warmouth. They're ferocious and will eat almost anything. I caught a big one in the spring on a football jig.

go blue

Looks like a sunfish. See his blue scale that has a touch of yellow on the edge. That looks like a sun fish.

porthos33

Honestly i think its a rock bass and some Call it a war mouth. they tend to eat soft plastics when fishing for bass. Sometimes they have a beautiful orange coloring all around the outside of the fin. Also referred to by Mr Whiskers as Google eyes. Look them up on google they are very similar fish and are little tanks for there size

Gator

I agree with Porthos33.

Maude

That's what I've always called a war-mouth bream. They are beautiful fish and fight as well as any for their size. We've caught a number of nice ones this year but have always returned them to their homes.

cast4bass

porthos33 - 5/31/2016 8:48 PM

Hey here you go. Did some research and the exact way to tell is the war mouth has 3 spines on its anal fin and rock bass has 6. Thats the scientific way. Here is a chart that TWRA gave us that shows just how similar they look.
http://www.tnfish.org/FishIdentificationID_TWRA/TWRA_Sunfish_Identification_Key.htm

Thanks. Good link. I think it is a warmouth. Crazy how different they can be in colors. Catching something new is why I love fishing the TN River. You can always see something new or different. I know some days we manage ten or twelve different species.

Blue76

I caught the biggest war mouth I ever saw about a month ago up near the hwy 60 bridge. Looked like the size of a skillet.

dave60

I think it is a warmouth I used to catch a lot on CARTERS LAKE many years ago they would eat lizards plastic crankbaits even spinnerbaits

jason

It's a warmouth. Those little guys will drive you crazy during the spawn with that machine gun strike.