Frog Fishing

dave60

Does the color matter a lot when frog fishing what are the best brands to use

Jmax

Black and white for sure. Then a couple bream color will do it. It is not so much the brand as it is the thickness of the rubber in my opinion. I have found the harder the rubber the more you miss. However if you are fishing some really thick stuff the soft rubber can cause more fouls.

dave60

I have been throwing a SPRO some several several blow ups but not many hook ups is this normal or is it me are you talking black boottoms

Jmax

dave60 - 10/17/2016 7:27 PM

I have been throwing a SPRO some several several blow ups but not many hook ups is this normal or is it me are you talking black boottoms

You probably have my issue. I set the hook right when they hit. emoBang I can be telling myself, "Don't set the hook, don't set the hook." Then BOOM!, I set the darn hook for all I am worth. emoDoh In short with a frog you need to set the hook when you feel the fish, not when you see the strike. Often you will jerk the frog away before it really has it. You can also bend out the hooks slightly from the body of the frog to increase hook ups but this will also cause more trash to get hung up on it.

camaro88z

As a general rule I wait at least 3 seconds. I know alot of people go for black and white. So probably best. But I normally go for more natural colors when I choose a frog.

porthos33

dave60 - 10/17/2016 7:45 PM Thanks for the info guess I need to shut my eyes or look the other way like I do with a buzzbait</p>

That was the hardest thing for me at first. You just gotta sit there till you feel that fish count, close your eyes, whatever it takes to Wait! Those softer frogs are SO much better for me with hook sets. Some of the softer frogs can be lighters than the harder frogs, so to be able to cast it how you want, just put some bb's inside your frog. On the thick mats they won't sink to bad. If you put a bunch of bb's in it, just work your frog faster. Also, and especially on the harder frogs, bend those hooks up so the fish will hook itself. It helps a lot! Nothing worse then having a huge bass blow up on that frog and you miss! So you have to do everything you can to increase those hookups. The Dean Rojas of the forum is definitely "Fishinvol" If he chimes in take that info Like its Gold!</p>

calveryc

If you hold your rod tip straight up it will force you to take the time to reel down before setting the hook.