tilt and trim problem

Railroader

Last week i was out fishing in some shallow water and had to trim the engine up. Well when i decided to leave that area my engine decided it wasnt gonna trim back down. You could hit the trim button and the motor works but the pump wasnt cooperating. It was trying to but the hydraulics seems to have been locked up. It would still go up which i was careful not to go too high so i could still run my engine to get back to the ramp. (although very slowly) Any info on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has an extra tilt and trim set up laying around id gladly pay a reasonable price for one. Itll need to be compatible with a 1995 evinrude 150 intruder. Thanks, Ray

MarkSettle

Low trim fluid will cause that problem. My old 175 Faststrike had a bad relay and did what you are describing but no motor sound.

DLR

Yes, sounds like fluid. And don't forget there is a manual release to get motor vertical. I think on that motor it is on left side if you are facing the motor facing the front of boat. Only problem is if you are out of fluid you will have to manually lift motor to tow back home. And a 150 is way heavier than you think.

camaro88z

It's low on fluid. Trim relay would make it not work at all. Had both problems before. Means you got a leak somewhere. Could be very slow but it is there.

bobant

Had similar problems with prior Evinrude motor. There were two relays, one for up and one for down. Could switch them around and one would work and one would not. In this case was not an expensive fix.Replace both relays if that is the problem.

Railroader

Thanks for the replies guys. We tried reversing the relays on the water that day to no avail. I opened the fill cap when we got out of the water and fluid did drain out but it was very black and seemed kinda thin to me. Sad to say but stepdad took assembly off boat at home and removed upper cylinder and needle bearings went everywhere. ?? He did drain the fluid and refill and tried to cycle it a few times before removing it. Bass Man we left u a voice mail if u could give my step dad a call back at ur convenience it would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks so much for the feed back guys.

camaro88z

Thats not good. But at least you have it under control now. And part is already located. So you are steps ahead to get back to the lake. Hope it isn't to pricey on you. Good luck.