Water Clarity

SHane

Noticed that the water was extremely clear for what I remember, all summer. With rain and storms moving in, I can all ready see the change in water clarity. Can some of you more experienced guys discuss what changes we need to make with the change of the water? Is it just a lure color change?

silvertalon

I don't fuss too much with lure color change unless the water clarity is less than about 18". (and keep in mind, the rule of thumb for bass vision is about twice what we can see from above the water). So if we perceive about 18" clarity, a bass can see about 36". If water clarity gets around 12-14", I will most certainly try other colors. Some say that besides chartreuse , black and red work the best. Black is best for top water like- buzz baits and spooks. When the water colors up, the fish rely more on feeding by sound until they can get a visual fix on the bait. Thats why in stained water, noise making lures shine. Less noise in clear water. Water temps have cooled down now to the mid 50's so more importantly- slow down your presentation. especially in stained water. Two days ago, I couldn't get bit until I started slow rolling my spinnerbait. Then I nailed 7 fish with 4 keepers. Hope that helps.

SHane

So, you believe speed of presentation is more important than color. Is that due to clarity or the dropping of water temperature?

scooby-doo pole

I absolutely think lure presentation speed is more important than lure color selection especially in colder water temperatures. You could be throwing exactly what that bass wants to eat... more than anything else it could eat in the lake. Not only is your lure 100% the right color; it's also the exact size, shape, and has the same movement of that bass' favorite meal. But in cold water, bass are very lathargic creatures that don't want to expend a lot of enery when looking for or chasing a meal. When they do eat, they wait for the right opportunity to present itself. More often than not, that opportunity happens when slowly creep your lure in front of their face or keep it in their strike zone for an extented period of time. Bass are more tempted to eat something especially when they have to use as little energy as possible to capture their food. That's why, in cold water, speed of presentation is so critical. A bass isn't going to chase down forage because the payoff for them isn't worth it. A bass' metabolism is very slow when in cold water so they don't eat as often. When they do decide to eat something, it's usually because a slow moving creature passed right in front of their face. The only enery spent eating was when they slowly swam forward 6 inches and sucked in a bunch of water to include whatever was crawling by.

silvertalon

OK, it can seem to get complicated but if you study enough facts, you'll be able to form your own opinions more acurately as you learn. Lets talk 'largemouth'. They are a 'warm water' bass. Spots and smallmouth are 'cold water' bass. This is why largemouth are more of a shallow water dweller. That is- whenever they can be!. Water temp and baro pressure and food source and wind mostly dictate that. Cold dirty water is not a good place to concentrate your efforts. I mean- bass will be close to their food source all of the time but like to stay with warmer water. I like to find the 'color break', where dirty water meets clear water. This is usually where the temp change will be as well. And if you are graphing lots of bait, this is where you'd probably want to focus your efforts. To best answer your question, the water temp right now (mid to low 50's), is prime for fall feeding and everything has been about a month late this year. I've seen where you can't crank a bait fast enough when they are feeding hard. Even in cool water. Once the temp drops below 48-50, a slower presentation is key as their metabolism is a lot slower and they are feeding less often. I always prefer some color to the water as I just don't like clear water. But when its cold (below 45), I avoid stained water unless it is prespawn, sunny and shallow- as this is where the water warms up quickest. The same can hold true during warming spells in winter. Look for rocks that warm the water like riprap and boulders. But always look for bait fish. [There are many variables that dictate where the better bite will be so, this is all just IMO - in my opinion].

Jmax

On the Chick the color of your lures are normal to most lakes based on water clarity. It is one of the few normal things about the Chick. emoRolleyes Muddy stained water you look at dark and bright colors. Your dark blues, blacks, dark greens and your whites, chartreuse, yellows and reds. In clear water on the chick I find it best to go with the chromes, natural shad, tn shad, blues and light greens. I am not sure if speed has much to do with it or not. Seems to me the speed has more to do with the bite. If they are aggressive your speed needs to be faster. You really need to try different speeds and just see if you can determine how the bass want it. On cold, clear and stained mornings I find it best on the Chick to slow your bait down as slow as you can. If there is grass there try to tip the grass and then pop it out, let it fall again, usually if a bass is there it will crush it on the fall. The Chick in the winter can be feast or famine, but that is true about most winter time fishing. emoBigsmile Jmax