Gamefish or Non-game fish

Emca80

Anybody know what officially is nongame fish? The fishing guide is very unclear on what is and what isn't non game fish.

Emca80

In the fishing guide it says non game fish can be taken without limit and catfish, paddle fish, and skipjack can be taken until local limit. It never says what's game fish and what's not.

fischnrod

Probably to many to list .

Although some of the fish species on the following pages are very familiar (bass, crappie and catfish), most anglers will not encounter the other species described. Only 12 percent of the 315 species of fish found in Tennessee are considered game fish, while the remaining 88 percent are non-game fish. If help is needed in identifying fish you encounter, contact one of the offices of the TWRA listed on page 63.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/fish/attachments/anglersguide.pdf

Emca80

No just trying to see what other fish I can kill besides catfish, carp, suckers, paddlefish, skipjack, and drum. Are bluegill game fish?

bullshot

If you can catch it on a rod with a hook, it is a game fish. Baitfish regulations will cover any other additional species of interest.

fischnrod

Emca80 - 3/25/2017 8:34 PM

No just trying to see what other fish I can kill besides catfish, carp, suckers, paddlefish, skipjack, and drum. Are bluegill game fish?

Why do you want to kill them ?

rsimms

I agree... it is not spelled out very well in the regulations. The easiest way to look at it is, any fish that is listed in the creel and length limit guide is a game fish.

If it is NOT not listed here, it is a non-game fish.

HOWEVER, that rule still isn't 100% accurate.

Even though skipjack are listed, I'm pretty sure they are NOT game fish and you can spear them (although it's doubtful that you'll get the chance. They're fast!)

And another exception is catfish. In an effort to "upgrade their status" in anglers' eyes, wildlife regulators declared catfish a "game fish." However, they threw in the caveat that it IS still legal to shoot them (with bow & arrow or spear).

BUT, to be sure my assessment is correct I strongly urge you to call TWRA (1-800-262-6704) and ask.

Attachments

• regs.jpg
    regs.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 229