2011 Mercury 225 Pro XS issue

kornbread

When at idle the boat will surge with the rpms fluctuating 50-100 rpms. The engine will not die while at idle. Occasionally it will die when you put it in gear. The boat doesn't miss or cut out at all when on plane. Any info would be great.

chillerman69

Have you checked or replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) If you have a lot of hours the TPS linkage can wear and get loose I don't have black power but a TPS or any other idle control is almost always the culprit, whether on a boat or land vehicle.

silvertalon

Sounds like the TPS (throttle position sensor). You need a DDT to test them (digital diagnostics terminal). Or, just replace it if you want to avoid dealer diagnostics and labor. It is located on the port upper side front- behind the throttle cam and roller and has a long link arm attached to it. Its a small square sensor about 1-1/2" square.

Strato-G

kornbread - 3/29/2017 2:30 PM

Ok guys thanks for the info. I'll swap it out and update everyone.

Make sure u get it positioned properly or u can lean out the fuel enough to cause engine to spit & sputter at idle. Also leaning out fuel will also lean out oil mixture...be cautious when resetting tps. start at same position as old unit is, scribe with knife point or object old tps mount...... emoGeezer emoUSA

silvertalon

Your style TPS has 3 screws that hold it in a fixed position. No adjustments are required. I just changed mine out. No fear.