Batteries?

Mudman

Are the optima batterys worth the price? I need 2 new trolling batteries for a 80lb thrust minn kota. What's is the best battery to get? 27s 29 or 31s?

Smalliefan2

I have 29's,and would have 31's if they would fit, these are lead acid. I have an Optima starting/accessory and so far great results, running 4 depth finders and the big motor, haven't run out of power. I like the Optima because they are totally sealed units. Just don't know how many years they will go before needing replacement. I just replace the lead acid every four to five years so they don't poop out.

Aries 181

I just installed two Everstart Maxx 29's yesterday to replace six year old Diehard 27's.
Man, what a difference in perceived power, ie, the TM feels stronger with new batteries.

I weighed both sizes yesterday, 55.4 for the 27's and 61 for the 29's. Like Smalliefan2, I also would have gone with 31's but space was limited.

Bill

SHane

I went back and forth on here and vs. money. Ended up with two 29's from Walmart. $99 each with 3 year warranty. Have not been able to run them below 50% charge yet, fishing 10/12 hours. But I would have thought a man of your means would be talking about lithium.

Carl

My blue top 27's were put in the boat new in August of 2010 and still show no signs of slowing down. I keep thinking this will be the year they get replaced. Thats with over 150 days on the water for the last 4 years.

Mudman

Shane I have 2 teenage boys so u know I don't have any "means" left. Lol The reviews on optimas say that the ones made about 5 yrs ago were good batteries, but the newer one are not holding up. Think I might go with everstarts or interstate

elwestb

Optima's do cost more but I think they are worth it! That's all I have had for just over ten years. The first three that I had lasted over 5 years and I replaced them. Then one on the TM did go bad and Advanced Auto Parts replaced BOTH of my blue top TM batteries. Those were 34's. I now am running three #31 blues on the TM and a red #34 on the engine because it has 1,000 cold cranking amps. I don't know why Optima size numbers are in reverse? With everyone else, the larger the number the larger the battery. But with Optima their standard battery is a #34 and the #31 is the largest?

flyman

I went with interstates, I got them at Costco for 80 each. the interstates i had in the boat lasted almost 4 years that's $20 per year per battery if you go with a $200 optima and get 5 years that's $40 per year per battery.. just my opinion

danrnsmyth

I am by no means an expert, rather a fisherman has been at it off and on for a long time and I have owned Optima's, interstate, Wal-mart brands, auto zone Auto Crafts?, for me a Optima Blue Top is a great starting battery and based upon what my voltage gauges read, the two Sears Diehard Platinum hold up about as well as any battery I have owned for trolling batteries. Typically batteries have so many recharges and the start to die regardless of brand...it seems the number of recharges and the timeliness of the recharge becomes the critical issue. It just seems the Platinum maintains a higher voltage reading longer to me

silvertalon

When shopping for DC TM batteries, one needs to look at the amp hour rating. I was going to buy an Everstart DC M29 (mid size Everstart), to replace one weak battery, but the Amp hours is rated at 105. It also has a 875 CCA rating making it a combination battery. But, 105 AH -Thats not enough for an 85 lb TM on a long windy day. You need at least 2- 160 amp hour batteries. I prefer a 180-200 amp hour battery like a Trojan or a Pro Guide. In regular conditions, they will go 2-3 days without recharging if needed.

danrnsmyth

(198.140.4.205) Go with Deka and you will never have another battery problem.... +1...agreed...great batteries...

stratos21xl

Ac delcos are about the best wet cell I have ever owned for the money...always had bad luck with Walmart batteries and about the same with interstates. Dekka wet cells are pretty good as well but a little more expensive.