Looking into buying a kayak

Rabbithead13

What would be a good first time kayak for me,dont want to put alot of money into right away would like to guve it a try and go from any advice would be great

bubbatrubba24

Search Craigslist, Facebook, and let go app. For a used sit on top. You can get a pelican, heritage angler, or a few others for $200 or less. Go check out triple b if you're around Hixson and demo some nicer ones.

Tight_Lines

Academy has some nice fishing Kayaks for not a whole lot. though i would check reviews. talk to some people and maybe rent a couple to see what you like ( there are places her in chatt that will rent them to you for the day) and then look for what you want. I just got the pelican Catch 120. I like it pretty well though its a 12 ft boat so its pretty big. seems pretty stable though it is a base model so i will have to add some things to it. it was around $800.00 which for Kayaks these days is pretty good. Also check on the VIBE Skipjack 90. you can get it for about $600. a buddy of mine has this one and its a nice little boat. i think its like 8 or 9 feet long. hope this helps

Mikie

Check out (3 B) KOB outfitters on Hixson Pk. @ Lakesite. Great selection. That is their speciality.

rippinlips2win

find what you want then spend the money for it, if you do not spend the money for what you want you will not be happy with it later....

Tansi Bulldawg

I would get a cheap sit on top and add a crate with pvc rodholers. It will get you on the water and give you a chance to see how much you enjoy going and if you can justify spending money on a better kayak. I am currently doing this and plan on trying to upgrade every year or 2. My current boat and paddle cost 225 with tax and I probably put another 40 bucks or so into it with rodholers and such. I am currently saving to get the perception Pescador pro which is available several places right now for about 625. I haven't seen anyone say they don't like that boat. Hopefully after fishing that for a couple of years I'll try and get a Jackson, feel free, vibe, or some other higher end kayak.

Blue76

I can relate to not wanting to spend a lot but a cheap kayak will be unstable, uncomfortable and make for a poor fishing experience. I would take the above advise and demo a couple and see what you liked before buying anything. They are vastly different.

Look for a used tarpon 120 or something like that. Should be able to find one cheap.

As for the pescador pro. A buddy of mine has one. It is a good bargain but the seat is not durable. His is less than a year old nad he is not a big guy but his seat has broken twice. When I sit in it I can feel the tube support through the seat. Not comfortable.

Just FYI.

Greg

richg99

Right about now some of the big retailers are already thinking about Fall. That means that their kayaks and other gear will be going on sale. Check Academy ( of course) and Dunham's (believe it or not). Also, any place that rents Sit On Top kayaks would be worthwhile asking. They are not closing down yet, but might put you on a list for when they start closing down their inventory of used, but still good yaks.

There is a website called LSN (local sales network) that I bought a boat off of a year or two ago. Used kayaks show up almost daily on that site. I sold one off of that site a month or so ago.

The advice above about.... Trying it before you BUY it.... is very good.

richg99

south599

Just a thought I have fallen in love with my kayak from Walmart. Can't remember the name but it's like green sit on top. It's red version of their cheap fishing kayak. However, the red version sells for 165 online brand new. I bought this installed a seat to get my but out of the water and three rod holders and I still have less money in than the fishing version now with better amenities. Just a though, but I quite enjoy it. It won't beat a 2,000 homie kayak or anything, but it takes waves well sits still alright, tracking is poor buts it's only 10ft long and light weight. It is possible to stand up in them some, but with the seat I don't feel a need too and I have caught fish out of it already!

JEEPnFISH

I'm thinking about one of those Walmart kayaks myself. I'd rather spend a couple hundred and see if I like fishing off one instead of spending $500 or $1000 and hate it. Plus a 8 or 10 footer will fit out the back of my Jeep.??

south599

You could probably make it just invest in some good straps

JEEPnFISH

Its a long wheel base wrangler .Almost 5 ft with the back seat out, just hang it over the tailgate I think. With the top off it could set on the windshield and roll bars tied down.

JEEPnFISH

I'm wanting to stay $300 or less. I have been watching YouTube reviews and researching some reviews. I take my time on major purchases before jumping in on an impulse buy. Thanks for all the input guys.

richg99

For $300.00 you best get lucky on a good used one, or a close out with some scratches (who cares).

The best thing about a good used one is normally you can "try it before you buy it". Also, it often will come with a seat; a paddle; and maybe a bunch of other stuff that can be costly to buy on your own.

To learn more about many different models, ACK (Austin Canoe and Kayak) has specifications and reviews on tons of older yaks. Worth your time to read.

south599

I have installed a seat and three rod holders on my 165 dollar wart kayak. I love it. Don't let someone tell you you have to spend more to be happy. Plus it's Walmart buy the kayak and use it a couple of times and return it if you don't like it. BTW with the seat and rod holders I now have around 225 in the kayak. I could go get a fancy paddle or pay for a bunch of gas to get to the lake the the remaining $75.

churly

Get some lights so you don't get run over if you plan on putting in a public water way

Pop-R

Bargin Hut in Dalton had some the other day not sure of the brand I think they were $250 you might check the one in Chattanooga.