Need help with Lowrance units

joecoward

I'll be buying a Triton 20 TRX in the near future and a friend of mine suggested that I ask you guys this question. I'll have a 9 HDS gen 3 at Bow and a 12 at console. I want these units to share data and get the most use out of the electronics. How do I set the up when I purchase the boat and what are your suggestions. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

jenko157

One map card and an Ethernet connection. That is all you will need. That's the yellow plug on the back of the unit

sdfd29

To share the map data all you will need is the Ethernet cable. However, if you are going to add a GPS external puck, weather receiver/audio receiver, or other you will need the NEMA cables as well. I just upgraded and had to have the Ethernet cable to share the waypoints and mapping, but also had to have the NEMA system as well.

sdfd29

The Ethernet is necessary for the newer Lowrance units to be networked. It will be all you need to share the map card data and the waypoints and transducer inputs. A 25' cable is about $50.

If you have an older unit that you want in the network, (like a 520c that I have in the console) you will need a NEMA network. It seems very redundant and if both of your units are newer and you don't have the external GPS or any of the other accessories you will not need the NEMA. I have a SonicHub, Weather/Sirius receiver, 520c on the NEMA network. Starter kit is about $60, tees are $20 and the cables are pretty expensive as well (depends upon length).

Both are pretty pricey. Johnny from DJ Electronics has very good prices on the components.

The manuals are not real clear on the use of the different networks, We thought that once the HDS9's were connected by the NEMA it would be good to go.......NOT. I had to add the Ethernet cable and all of the devices connected appropriately.