Trailer bunks

bassncorey

Looks like it's time to replace the bunks on my trailer. Has anyone ever used the composite type lumber for this? Just thinking it might last longer. Mine are about 8 and 1/2 feet long. Has anyone jacked their boat off their trailer to replace these? I know I can drive to the ramp and tie off but didn't wanna block a dock. Any help is appreciated.

wormman

I just totally rebuilt, primed and painted my trailer this winter. Wish I had thought about the composite boards. They would probably last forever. I used pressure treated lumber and being 70 yrs old I hope I live long enough to have to replace them again!

Aries 181

There is plenty of dock space at CFP. Unload and tie off your boat and then do the work in one of the parking spaces. Just make sure you have everything you will need for the switch . Shouldn't take but an hour or so.

Bill

porthos33

I just bought 10 ft treated boards yesterday from lowes. I had read some negative stuff about the composite boards and they were more than I wanted to pay. I was thinking of either Letting my buddy take my boat out all day or just getting a space at a marina for a night. It would be nice to sand blast the rust off the whole trailer and paint but not sure if I will do all that.

chillerman69

bassncorey - 5/28/2017 8:38 PM

Looks like it's time to replace the bunks on my trailer. Has anyone ever used the composite type lumber for this? Just thinking it might last longer. Mine are about 8 and 1/2 feet long. Has anyone jacked their boat off their trailer to replace these? I know I can drive to the ramp and tie off but didn't wanna block a dock. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, I just jacked my boat last week and changed the bunks. Nothing to it. I have a Phoenix on a Marine Master Trailer. I picked thru Lowes PT 2x4's and got 3 very good 12 footers. I had my new ones ready and had them changed out in about 30 minutes. Used the 20 oz carpet from Boat Carpet Central and got stainless lags. I cut the carpet off my old ones and while I thought my new boards were good, the old ones were much better. I used a router to put a better radius on the new boards but should've used a bit with more to match old ones. I also used monel 1/2" staples

bassncorey

Ok thanks for the info. Forgot to mention these are going on an aluminum bass boat. Has anyone had an issue with reactions with pressure treated and aluminum?

Smalliefan2

Did mine years ago. Replaced originals with 2x6 treated lumber. Measured the old bunks, mounting points one day after fishing before loading so I had all the measurements right, plus easier access to the trailer. Glued new carpet down, and tucked, glued and stapled on the bottom side so it would stay neat. Jacked the boat slightly in my garage and swapped out the bunks, and it was a glass boat. I would suggest beveling the ends where the boat slides on the trailer. Easier to load, and eliminates the edge that might wear or tear.

flpper

I did mine a few years ago. Did all of the prep work first ( carpet, stainless staples, etc), then put boat in, tied off away from ramp, and changed them out. Cordless tools with full battery charge and I was done with boat back on trailer in 30 - 45 min. Just a note; I've heard the monel staples are better, but couldn't find them. Also, most of the composite is 5/4 or less, so not sure it best choice to handle the weight.

chillerman69

bassncorey - 5/29/2017 8:58 AM

Ok thanks for the info. Forgot to mention these are going on an aluminum bass boat. Has anyone had an issue with reactions with pressure treated and aluminum?

I did my father's tracker 10 years ago with PT, maybe longer. He's gone but the boat's still good. I think the carpet protects the boat from the chemicals in the wood but if you'd like a little extra insurance, use glue. Good thought though because PT is hard on ferrous metals and to me, aluminum would be worse

flpper

When working with PT wood, it is recommended that you use stainless steel, galvanized, or a coated fastener. The typical treatment for the southeast region of the United States is MCA (micronized copper azzore?) This chemical is known to corrode and damage untreated fasteners.

Strato-G

Check out Gatorback for covering other than carpet....Put it on my 22ft carrier this year...much more preferred than carpet.... emoGeezer emoUSA

bassncorey

Thanks for all the input I went with some treated 2x4's and new carpet and a generous amount of glue. They both turned out great. Jacking the boat off the trailer was a little nerve wrecking at first but everything went well. It was a little time consuming probably mostly on my fear something would happen when jacking up the boat. Got both installed with stainless lag screws. I'll let you know how they weather. Hopefully that'll be a few years from now.

benchwarmer

Yeah it is time for me to do mine as well. Guess I have to let my boys go fish for a couple hours while I take the trailer back home to replace the bunks.