Help please below Chickamauga Dam...

Tight_Lines

I have been trying to get a couple of hours a fishing in on my way home from work a couple a nights a week. and have been fishing below the dam. though in the past month or two the fishing seems to have really slowed down!! anyone that fishes here, are you having the same result or do i need to try something else?? the skip jacks are no where to be seen, and my go to grubs (which are usually automatic) are getting no attention. i have been fishing right up next to the dam; down by the ramp; and also down behind Chatt st. with the same result. very slow! are the hot summer months the reason for the slow bite here and it once things cool the bite will be better?, or do i need to try something else?? help Please!!
Good Fishing to All!!

rsimms

They say "Timing is everything in life."

That is especially true in fishing. I assume your fishing primarily for bass, skipjack, stripe, etc. ... fish that capitalize on feeding on bait.

When you were catching them previously, baitfish (threadfin and gizzard shad) were spawning and were concentrated below the Dam in abundance. The predator game fish followed for an easy meal, on demand.

That spawning time has ended and those baitfish have backed off down the river and are spread out.

However, we are approaching a time when the tiny fry produced by those spawning baitfish will be getting large enough to set off another concentrated feeding spell near the Dam. It varies, however, every year with changing weather and water conditions. Just understand that the river is a "fluid" environment (pun intended) that is constantly changing based on weather and water conditions and a wide variety of other factors that we will probably never fully understand. But don't give up.

One alternative is to change techniques.... switch for baitfish imitating lures to slower baits searching for the isolated fish that I assure you are still hanging around.

Tight_Lines

Cool thanks for the info, as an avid fisherman, will definitely never ever give up!! ( after all, how could we???? ) and you are correct there are several details that make it all very hard to completely understand. it is always to us all, completely intriguing and we are constantly looking for the best patterns for opportunity. the slow period definitely wont keep me away from fishing there. though as fisherman we are always exploring for new areas also!
again thanks for the info!

porthos33

I remember a couple years ago when the cats had just gone post spawn down there and literally every drift we were catching 20+lbers. That bite lasted a good month at least. Man you never know what you are going to catch down there and thats why I love it. Current is everything

SpurHunter

Hooker - 6/21/2017 11:03 AM

Better when they are generating

They have been generating quite a bit for months with very little downtime so thats not really a factor right now. As Richard mentioned, it goes in waves and its about to crank up pretty heavy with the hatch.

Even with a slow period, you can catch fish using a spoon there. Its deadly on a dozen species, especially if you are looking for "fish".

spnplgr

When the weather heats up and the spawn is over, fish move deeper, if deeper water is available. Since the run is on the west side just below the dam (deeper water) I'd try fishing on the west side if possible. You may have to negotiate down the rip rap, but it's worth a try.