Fishing Show

Rob Lee

In light of the recent high-end tournaments and national recognition in regards to "The Chick", ever wonder why the city of Chattanooga does not host a fishing show. And I would be remiss if I failed to mention the Nick; Watts Bar; Dead Sea; and Parksville. Not to mention the proximity of Guntersville and others. I truly do not understand. Does the city of Dayton have the resources/facility. IMO, huge opportunity. Splain this one to me Lucy.

jg1456

East Tennessee Fishing Show in Knoxville is about the best you're gonna get for these parts. They have made a few attempts at it locally like Camp Jordan and the convention center downtown, but failed tragically.

Rob Lee

I attended last year. It was just ok. However, in years past when held at Jacobs building at Chilhowee Park it has been really good. Numerous pros were in attendance as well. I believe the success or failure rest solely with the organizer(s). We should not only have a show, we should have a premiere event. Look what Buckmaster's does in Montgomery every year.

jg1456

I've been going to the East TN Fishing Show for the past few years. I like the current location better than Chilhowee. It's all one level and more spread out. I will agree, the last show wasn't as good as the previous year. As far as deer hunting shows, you need to check out the one in Birmingham. As a matter of fact, it's this weekend. Really enjoyed it in the past.

JEEPnFISH

Rob Lee - 7/20/2017 2:56 PM

In light of the recent high-end tournaments and national recognition in regards to "The Chick", ever wonder why the city of Chattanooga does not host a fishing show. And I would be remiss if I failed to mention the Nick; Watts Bar; Dead Sea; and Parksville. Not to mention the proximity of Guntersville and others. I truly do not understand. Does the city of Dayton have the resources/facility. IMO, huge opportunity. Splain this one to me Lucy.

Dead Sea ??? Where's that? I've probably been there and didn't know it !??

JEEPnFISH

Some of these events don't advertise enough. We enjoyed going to pow wow. Now you don't know about anything till the 6 pm news does a fluff story the day the event ends.

river rat

BASS AND FLW have both approached Chattanooga about tournaments and they were told no it wasn't advantageous for them

Rob Lee

That is wherein the problem lies. That is such bs and antithetical to business and the community. I plan on contacting the city of Dayton. Not sure they have the ability. Can't hurt. Additionally I too never heard of the show at Camp Jordan.

porthos33

JEEPnFISH - 7/20/2017 8:38 PM
Rob Lee - 7/20/2017 2:56 PM In light of the recent high-end tournaments and national recognition in regards to "The Chick", ever wonder why the city of Chattanooga does not host a fishing show. And I would be remiss if I failed to mention the Nick; Watts Bar; Dead Sea; and Parksville. Not to mention the proximity of Guntersville and others. I truly do not understand. Does the city of Dayton have the resources/facility. IMO, huge opportunity. Splain this one to me Lucy.
Dead Sea ??? Where's that? I've probably been there and didn't know it !??
Hiwassee river

Rob Lee

Did you mean fishing show when you stated tournaments? In any event my response was in regard to shows. Thanks for responding in regard to Dead Sea. Sorry, forgot.

Aries 181

Chattanooga used to host BASS and maybe FLW tx's years back but are only concerned with hosting soft ball, soccer, iron man and so forth these days as they don't see the economic value of fishing tx's so Dayton took up the slack and all of Rhea county benefits as a result.

Good for them but we now see our resource is being hammered due to all the publicity from the national press that covers those type of events. One only has to look at the decline in big fish numbers on the big pond south of us and the decline in revenue all of the different businesses from Scottsboro to Guntersville proper and beyond have endured due to the over-exposure of that resource.

I feel the same thing will happen to this region if Chickamauga is fished out like what has happened to our neighbors south of us.

Bill

Volfish

Chattanooga thinks they are too cool to support a Bass Tourney. Dayton loves that Chattanooga will not get behind one.

Rob Lee

I agree with Aries. However, I was actually referring to a "Fishing Expo", not a tournament. Thanks for your response.

kcsteve

Does anyone remember the International Sportsman Show at the Omni in Atlanta?
It was a once in a lifetime event. Fishing, hunting, taxidermy and I don't know what all.
I was there two days and didn't see it all.

Blue76

Rob Lee... those large tournaments normally come with a large "show/expo" as well.

Hard to have a bigger fishing show than the Bassmaster classic or the Elite events.

Greg