Deep water fishing... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Tight_Lines

My wife's parents have a house on Lewis Smith Lake in Alabama, just down from Duncan Bridge and Marina.; i have figured out how to catch bluegill and small fish.( this lake is SUPER DEEP with rock bluffs along waters edge). they have a floating dock that sits above 55 feet of water at the shallow side and about 90 feet at the front. 10 feet off shore the water drops to 50 right away. SOOOO my question is: how do i fish this deep water from the shore or their dock on their property? i have tried live bluegill at all depths and not really any takers. i am looking for bigger fish rather than the bluegill i have been catching. so would love to catch a good catfish or nice striper but have not had any success with larger fish. i do NOT have access to a boat while i am at their house :( PLEASE HELP!!! thanks in advance!!
good fishing to all!!

G

Get you a slip floater at the tackle store and put it about 10 to 12ft deep and put a big shinner minnow on it. it's worked for me from a boat. good luck.

rsimms

Oddly enough on those super deep lakes I have have usually had my best success fishing very shallow, VERY tight to the bank.

Every lake has it's own "signature" so to speak. But my advice is to not rule out fishing shallow bait (or lures) really tight to the bank.

fishinvol

Shakeyheads , drop shots , spy baits will all work well on that lake . It's a blue back herring lake so the spotted bass will always be on the move . Focus on points .

Tight_Lines

Thanks for the info. I am really interested in landing some Catfish at their place. i have done a little research and looks like thermoclines are very important to pay attention to! will i have better success just below the Thermocline, just above and/or middle of the thermocline? and for catfishing deep water lakes are the same baits ( bluegill, cut bait etc.) still the go to?? thanks again!