Battery Set Up (cranking)

Hey guys looking to get some advice about a situation I'm dealing with at the moment. Right now I'm running an Interstate 24m-hxd for my cranking battery and electronics. Purchased less than a year ago. Been doing fine until last Friday and today. Both trips I fished right around the 5 hour mark and then boom no crank. All my electronics shut down and it won't turn over. Plain dead. The weird thing is both times I had just moved spots maybe a half hour before at tops and there was no slow start or low voltage readings on my graphs, just fired right up.

As far as graphs I'm running a Helix 9 at the console and a Helix 5 in the front. The 9 was installed a couple months ago so I am curious if it is too much load on the battery? I have made plenty of other trips well exceeding five hours since installed; so why the sudden change?

Could it be the heat? Or just not enough battery for the units and cranking?

Charged and tested battery, came back clean. All batteries are on a 3 bank charger and plugged in as soon as the boat is parked.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated?

Thanks
Derrik

I am guessing you have an Optimax
They are well known for their high voltage requirements and shutting down if they don't get them
They require a minimum off 800 CCA and most say if you add electronics you need 1100 CCA

There are some highly rated batteries that will fit your needs but they will be heavier and more expensive
The best available right now is possibly the X2 from Batteries plus (it is the same battery as the Northstar AGM)
They run approx 350-400 each

Also highly rated are the Duracel batteries (group 31 AGM) from Sams Club

I recently purchased an Exide Megacycle XMC-31 from Academy Sports for $229 It has held up very well for its price

Hope this helps
John

Well I stand corrected

However if you want the best batteries my info is there for you

chillerman69

My Interstate failed after a year and did almost the same thing. It would be fine nearly all day and then start its crap when I was hot and tired. Interstate tested the battery and said it was fine but that was after they charged it. Mine worked fine after it was charged all night until it pulled down to certain point and then all logic seemed to go out the window. I put the exact same battery in and worked fine....for a little over a year. I know it's not an option for everyone but I swapped to Lithium a couple years ago and been trouble free.

Rob Lee

Similar issue after installing two Helix 10's. However, no cranking issues. Low voltage alarms on both graphs and 225 opti-max. Johnny Stansell told me these newer graphs really pull the amperage and the wires used when boat was built and smaller graphs installed were inadequate. Johnny ran a larger gauge dedicated wire from bow graph directly to cranking battery. I hope I got this right. In any event, problem resolved. I use three Optima blue tops. Johnny Stansell - DJ's Marine and Electronics.

chillerman69

Start batteries have thinner plates than Deep Cycle but more of them. Since there's more plates, there's more surface area. The increased surface area is what gives a battery the kick to initially turn the engine over. Very much like a capacitor on an AC electric motor. To answer your question, probably maybe but you should go with a dual purpose battery and that would definitely start your motor because that's what it was designed to do. If you can step up in size, that's even mo better

Carl

Go up to a 31 size if you have the room,. If your charger will handle an agm, you cant beat the duracell from sams.

The AGM I see listed from Sam's is a deep cycle. Do they carry there dual purpose as well, just not listed? I have it from other vendors just not with the nice price tag Sam's offers.

Also what is the difference with the charge on an AGM? (Referring to if my charger will handle it) sorry just trying to get educated

Thanks for the input guys

I'm running a Minn Kota mk 315D.
-5 amp per bank 15 amp total
-recommended use with battery amp hour 20-125
-flooded/wet cell maintenance free or AGM

Will 5 amp be enough to charge a group 31 or 30?

I was having the exact same problem on a Merc 250 . Took everyone's advice and swapped to a series 31 from Battery's plus and it fixed my problems.

chillerman69

The more amps your charger has, the faster it will charge. I had a 40amp (10 per battery) when I was running agm 31's and it worked flawless. You already have it mounted, use and see it how it works for the way you fish. If you fish both mornings and evenings, in the same day, consider a stronger one. Best bet would be a Stealth charger for that many hours on the water in a 24 hour period. How many hours you fish in each trip also comes into play. It's all about hours of discharge vs. hours of charge

chillerman69

One other thing, I don't know how your battery is mounted but you could very well need a new tray for a 31. If so, I'll start by recommending a T&H Marine tray with the Stainless buckle. It's about as good as it gets and not priced bad. Others may have something they like but don't let a tray hold you up, whichever you choose, if you have to upgrade.