Battery set up

herefishy

How can I tell what the best trolling battery set up would be. I'm trying to help a buddy out. He has a Stratos 18XL magnum. Im not sure if it has a 24 or 36 volt trolling motor and I'm not sure if it makes a difference other than the amount of batteries it has.

chillerman69

It's pretty important to know what your trolling motor voltage is before offering ideas. If your sure the choice is between a 24 or 36, I'd say 24. I would think the better either/or on that boat would be a 12 or 24 volt. Since batteries can be hooked up 2 different ways, counting them isn't a sure way to tell. Find the T/M model number and you should be able to get a better answer

herefishy

It is a 24 volt MinnKota Maxxum. Does that help?

chillerman69

The most common set up would be a total of 3 batteries in the boat. 1 start battery and 2 Deep Cycle batteries connected in series. Hooking the two 12 volt T/M batteries together in series gives you the 24 volts needed for your T/M. Ground/Negative (-) from battery A goes to T/M while the Positive (+) from battery B goes to T/M. Connect the positive (+) on battery A to the ground/negative (-) on battery B. If your wires going to the T/M are color coded, the red or red stripe will be the positive(+), while the solid black will be your ground/negative (-) Take nothing for granted, verify that on the T/M end, that color coded wires are matched correctly red to red/black to black. If both wires going to T/M from back of boat are the same color, you must use meter to verify which will be the positive (+) and which will be your ground/negative (-) This probably won't answer all your questions but is a start

herefishy

Thank you sir. It definitely gets us started in the right direction. We are going to search for some descent batteries reasonably priced.

Hook1

The Everstart Maxx at Walmart are doing well for me this year.

herefishy

Is there a way to tell what size battery would be best?