Boat Leak

Fshn Cpa

I am taking on a bit of water and can't seem to find the source. Any suggestions?

derek81

Check your livewell connections. Try filling both livewells and see if they leak into the hull, also try putting the plug in and putting some water in the hull and see where it leaks out. I have seen in the past where the livewell fill hoses come into the boat lose their seal and start allowing water into the hull.

Carl

also check your splashwell, if it is leaking, it will get some each time you come off of plane.

chillerman69

check engine/jack plate to transom bolts. several ways to get a leak there and if it leaks worse in very cold water, a better chance. stainless expands at a different rate than fiberglass, so any under water thru the hull/transom fitting/bolt is a suspect

long shot: if your speedometer doesn't track your GPS like it used to, pilot hose may have hole worn in it

Fshn Cpa

Thanks guys. Will get to checking some of these things ASAP. I will let you all know how it turns out.

TNTall

livewell pumps maybe

Also I had a reminder of how dumb I am because it took me a while to realize the ice I was putting in my cooler was melting and draining into the hull.

jimwarden

Put plug in. Fill the bilge with water when its on the trailer and see if you can see where it's leaking from on the outside of the boat.

ChooChooSnakeMan

All of the suggestions are excellent and you should check them out. If none of them prove to be the problem it could be what I had a problem with years ago. My boat never took on any water until it started to. One evening when I pulled the plug several gallons of water came out. I started searching, checking hose fittings, livewells, everything. Nothing yet the water kept getting in. I even put a lot of water in the hull in the driveway and watched -- no leaks emoBang emoBang . Finally I noticed that the boat took on more water when I made runs when the lake was rough. I discovered that the silicon seal under my rub rail had deteriorated and when I was running in rough water the constant splashing up against the underside of the rub rail was getting into the hull. I just got a tube of marine silicon and a caulk gun and neatly resealed the underside of the rub rail. Problem solved. The boat never took on any water even in very rough conditions. It is worth a check, just look under your rub rail where it joins the hull. If you see gaps, especially in the bow and side areas where spray hits that might be your problem.

Aries 181

I finally took the time yesterday to chase down the leak in my boat. It was a steady drip from where I mounted the transducer for a Helix 7 DI/GPS last fall. I used 5200 to seal the holes but I guess I didn't use enough as my auto bilge pump would come on about every 3-4 hours and pump out around a quart each time it came on. Very annoying to say the least.

Later today I plan to install the large size STERN SAVER to the transom, let it cure for 24 hours and then mount the transducer to it. They make a mini size saver but it's not recommended for use with the large side scan transducers for when I upgrade to a Helix
10 MEGA SI/GPS G2N this fall.

Bill

richg99

Fairly often, it is simply the plug. Even tightening it all of the way up, if the rubber/plastic has dried out...tightening may not help. Just stick a new one in and crank her down. You probably need a new one anyhow. Ha !

Depending on the age of your boat
You may need to check the silicone sealer under the rub rail
Twice through the years I have had boats leak under the rub rail
The fix was simply re caulk the bottom edge between hull and rub rail

roty967

Make sure you don't have a small rubber hose that would be hooked to a speedometer and the water pressure would turn the gauge but is not hooked up or don't have a speedometer at all. If so. Extend the tube over the transom or cap it off. I had same issue and finally saw water running from it one day into my bilge

Fshn Cpa

A lot of great suggestions. Thanks to all. I might get to it in the next couple of days. Good thing I have a buddy with a boat that will take me with.

Fshn Cpa

may have found it. Had a pump that was only connected on one side. Will know for sure next time I put it in the water. That may not be for a couple of weeks. While at it found I had broken off an intake screen underneath. will replace that tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the help