Wear eye protection! A little graphic

Carl

Got lucky and caught a sammy to the face yesterday.Guy in the back of the boat set the hook a little early, Knocked my glasses off and scratched them, but it protected my eye.

Attachments

• Hood to the face (2)-800.jpg
    Hood to the face (2)-800.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 231

FishingwithRusty

yes sir, ive worked with/for eye doctors for 25yrs. ive seen some pretty nasty injuries. your glasses did their job, glad it wasnt any worse

Dropshot

Staff member
Glad you are okay Carl. That Sammy looks a little rough. All kidding aside, you bring up a great point in wearing eye protection. Once you lose them, you are not getting them back.

Carl

Just an FYI, Northpark ER does not know the string removal trick, nor will they numb your forehead before removal.

Dropshot

Staff member
Don't feel bad. When I stuck that Treble in my hand a few years ago, the Erlanger east emergency room had to run to Walmart to buy some cutters...

HunterDuck25

Ouch! I usually wear some type of glasses for this reason, even have a couple pair of saftey glasses in the boat for night fishing. Might look like a goober, but sure don't want to end up at the ER with a hook in the eyeball.

JEEPnFISH

There were some idiots at HBSP marina last night throwing giant rocks in the water while I was fishing there. They needed a crankbait to the head.

FishingwithRusty

when i looked at the pic i wondered why you and your buddy didnt just pop it out?

Nauticman

Honestly, I just give it a sudden jerk with needle nose pliers making sure I don't bury another hook in me when I do this.

Carl

FishingwithRusty - 8/10/2017 1:28 PM

when i looked at the pic i wondered why you and your buddy didnt just pop it out?

There was no just popping it out. I tried. It went completley through the skin and was actullay loose against my skull. It took the dr about 15 to push a new hole through and then cut the barb. Partner turned white at site, no help from him. I think the hook was really dull as well and didnt help.

FirstLight

Glad you are ok. I think about my eyes when fishing. I've had lead and tungsten weights fly by my head before from hooksets, (i'm sure everyone has at some point). I remember one time when punching, my buddy set the hook and 1.25 ounces of tungsten flew pretty close by my head. Also, when netting a fish, we've had lures pop out of the fishes mouth which can be dangerous for the net man. Safety glasses is a darn good idea.

Carl

Well, it turns out my partner is just an idiot savant, that was his way of telling me what the FLW winning bait was going to be.

FLW winning bait:

Attachments

• FLW Idiot savant.jpg
    FLW Idiot savant.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 211

heath423

So I'm taking 2 things away from this thread.....1 is keep yours eyes protected (as most do I think) and 2 is to keep your hooks sharp. The hook will bury up in fish better and will be easier to push back through skin if ever in that unfortunate situation. Glad to hear all is OK.