Prentice Cooper

Rob Lee

Got drawn for Oct. 5 black powder hunt. Never been there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Toadhunter

Rob Lee one spot you can try to get close to is what is called Haileys Creek some spots are very ruff depending on where you are at but there are great spots all over prentice cooper to hunt if I can help any more just let me know

Rob Lee

Thanks guys. Right about acorns. Like to find a thick spot nearby and hang in all day. A lot of hunters get down and move to eat (big mistake on wma) and in doing so will bump deer. Just my opinion. Never hunted Prentice Cooper, moreover, I have not hunted a WMA in years. I appreciate your input.

jg1456

I don't know if seed ticks will be a factor in October or not, but you better spray down with Permethrin before you go in there. I scouted around in September on time for a drawn archery hunt and got ate up. I forgot my spray and said oh well. Big mistake! Lesson learned.

Rob Lee

Got snake boots and permethrin. Both will still be out. Unless we get a couple heavy frost the seed ticks might not. By the way, got a new pair of size 10 Lacrosse snake boots if you know anyone interested. Paid 150 plus tax for them. 100 dollars. Thanks guys!

TNTall

Saturday I was mountain biking at Raccoon Mountain (same area) and got eaten up with seed ticks and/or chiggers.

I always hunt at the end as far as u could go to the bluff..then hunt left..check that area out..used to be good hunting in there...good luck..

Dropshot

Staff member
Tenncrapie - 8/27/2017 7:46 AM Wear snake leggins. PC is copperhead capitol of Tenn.
</p>

Yep, my mother got bit up there as a kid by a copperhead.</p>

churly

Ive never seen a copper head at prentice (I'm sure they are there) but I have seen big timber rattlers. On hunts outside the rut, you need to look for areas where the deer will get pushed to by the pressure, usually that means getting of the tops and down in the cuts off the side. During the rut, top and bottoms of bluffs are what I would be looking for.