Tims Ford Lake

Softbaitmaker

<font size="2">I was just wondering if any ya'll here fish Tims Ford lake over near Winchester Tennessee. I have not fished it since TWRA put that Small mouth Size limit on it and just curious how the fishing might be. Thinking about going down and chase some Smallmouths down there............. emoGeezer </font>

kevo615

I fished it, last spring a caught a bunch of smallies on cranks and football jigs. I was thinking about going tomorrow, but I'm not sure it's quite ready yet.

kevo615

DinkDink - 10/6/2017 8:22 AM

Where is the best place to put in?

I always put in at the state park ramp. It's almost right in the center of the lake, easy to go either direction.

Softbaitmaker

Thanks for all the replies. Back when I was fishing it I was either practicing for or fshing the PBF Inc. Tournament. I always enjoyed fishing that lake because they always went there in 1st week of April and the big Smallies were just coming off the beds and really hungry and the Green fish were just going on the beds and a lot of the anglers spent their day sight fishing which was fine with me cause I was catching 5 lb brown fish and either winning or being 1st loser is second place. I never quite understood that size limit the TWRA placed on the lake. I think it was a 17 inch size limit on brown fish and I was already weighing in 20 inch btown fish in tournaments. Oh well might try it in the end of the month and see how it fishes in the Fall. I always launched right in Winchester at the Bass Club and seldom had to go any futher than Winchester Branch to catch all I needed or wanted.

jr_37355

Man we had our fish off at tims sept 16 and 17 had 27 boats 13 lb won for 2 days it sux right now the big sticks locally are catchi g 12 to 13 lb at some niht tourn it sux should get bettr as it cools off there is 2 tourn there tomorrow one is wed night fish off totally local the other one is all seasons trail has a tourn also they ar the big sticks in town will let u know tomorrow beentough fish suspended waiting to move up when eater cools ill let u know after weigh in tomorrw mi lo

Softbaitmaker

jr_37355 - 10/6/2017 9:32 AM

Man we had our fish off at tims sept 16 and 17 had 27 boats 13 lb won for 2 days it sux right now the big sticks locally are catchi g 12 to 13 lb at some niht tourn it sux should get bettr as it cools off there is 2 tourn there tomorrow one is wed night fish off totally local the other one is all seasons trail has a tourn also they ar the big sticks in town will let u know tomorrow beentough fish suspended waiting to move up when eater cools ill let u know after weigh in tomorrw mi lo
</p>

<font size="2">Man that sounds like some tough fishing when the big local sticks are weighing in 12 to 14 lbs. Back in 2000 before they put that size limit on the lake I was weighing in 5 brown fish and my weights were 20-24 lbs and many times took big fish honors. Ihad heard back when they put the size limit on the lake it drove most of the tournament that use to visit the lake 1 or 2 times a year away to other lakes leaving it for the locals. If anything that should have improved the fishing! I know tourism down there took a hit when they added the size limit. Will be looking for what the weights are tomorrow so please keep me informed jr.</font></p>

thegman

I don't think the 18" size limit has helped the size of the smallmouth. I like to fish the winter months. Tracker Marine has a winter series tournament. Usually takes 14-18 lbs to win. Big fish is usually under 5 lbs but occasionally bigger.

fish4thepeck

I have fished Tim's since 1972 5 lbers are very rare and have always been rare. The SM just don't put on the weight there. I have caught 21 inchers that don't weigh 4 lbs. We have put on a SM tx there for 30 yeRs with some very very good fishermen who have been fishing the lake since it was impounded and I can count on one hand the 5lbers that have been weighed in. The largest weight I can remember was barely 19 lbs.. The 18 inch limit has helped the lake in my opinion.

Aries 181

I stopped going up there years a go because of the long skinny fish you catch there. I would rather fish for footballs on Nickajack or the Bar, and closer too.

Bill

Tight_Lines

Im taking a buddy of mine up that way for some trout fishing on the Elk River below Tims Ford. though can anyone tell me if we can still wade that river with one generator on? its has been several years since i have been up there when they were pushing any water.
thanks in advance!