Sometimes it's all in the details regarding certain lures and presentations

I've found in the last ten years that light tackle catches me the most fish on any day. Being a lure crafter (jigs, spinnerbaits, in-line spinners,) before pouring soft plastics, I knew from experience that lures must be made and look a certain way in the water to catch fish. Crappie.com has given me many ideas over the years about lures that catch pan fish, but no one said they also catch many other species including bass, pickerel catfish.

I've sent packages of lure rigged on jig heads to many that asked (and no, I don't sell them), with little feedback. I'm wondering if they might not have worked because of the factors that must be addressed when using them. In the case of small lures rigged on light jigs, there are definite requirements that I think allow for the most fish caught. Here are they are:
When using a light jig, how light is too light. 1/16 oz has been the best jig weight in the warmer months. It is moved faster than a 1/32 oz because fish activity is higher than when the water temperature falls into the 40's that require a very slow lure swim. So in the last month as the water temp has dropped to near 50, I've found fish deeper but schooled tighter than the month before. 1/32 and 1/64 oz has been the ticket using the same lures I use all year long.

Along with light weight jigs is the necessity of using two lines: braid for the main line and a fluorocarbon leader of 4-6# test. The braid transmits light strikes from 40 feet away and being zero stretch, allow for better hook sets. The F/C leader is thin and allows the best action for light lures. (I could care less that it's invisible in water.) Usually one foot will do.

The rod can not be a medium action rod because fish that are more sensitive and less active reject a lures that doesn't feel right in its mouth. Slow presentations allow fish to strike a lure multiple times on the same retrieve and if the last strike doesn't hook them, the only thing I can think of is lure resistance because of a less limber rod tip. So, I chose a light action rod with a very flexible tip, not worrying I can't set the hook. Heck, fish do that for me when they panic! I like 6' give or take 6" as a good length. Too short or too long, and I struggle.

The reel must have a good retrieve ratio in order to control lure speed and taking up slack line when fish hit along with a high & away rod angle. Too little a ratio of reel handle turns to the amount of line taken in, the more difficult to set the hook and keep the fish hooked. Just because the reel box says 3.5:1 doesn't mean it is because spool diameter enters into the ratio and must be of a certain size. Test it on a hard surface to see how much a lure moves with one reel handle turn.

Who knew casting a light lure could require so much, but unlike heavier bass tackle, light lures used for less than active fish need to be presented a certain way, felt when the strike happens, hooked a certain way not using a rod tip jerk to set the hook and played keeping in mind slower retrieves are better bringing that fish in.

This system has allowed me 40-130 fish per outing depending how long I'm on the water. Last outing - 46 fish/ three species in three hours using only two small lures rigged on 1/32 oz, unpainted, ball head jigs, a spinning and a push-button reel.

Softbaitmaker

Well that is one topic I cannot comment to much cause I don't even own a spinning rod. I fish everything with Level wind bait casters. I found back years ago that these new bait casting reels can be adjusted to do about anything a spinning rod can do. I even fish T-rigs with 1/8 oz Tungston bullet sinkers and in most cases out out cast my son in law fishing with a spinning rod outfit. we will cast and he will just look at me and shake his head. I cast unweighed Flukes as far as he does on spinning rods also. What you learned about going smaller gear I learned to adjust these new reels to work the same way. I do use different strenght rods when fishing fish like Crappie and Shell crackers and will go with lighter line but the reels are all the same. Still using Gold case 100 sf Chronarch Shimano's and had 12 of them.A few years ago I decided I better buy some parts to have on hand if I start having aissues with them so bought 10 sets of bearings and paws and 1/2 dozen worm gears but have not needed to use any yet. I have a buddy that took me Crappie fishing about 2 years ago and when I showed up with 2 of my rods he said we are going Crappie fishing and I said yea I know. He just shook his head and we went. He caught his limit and I caught my linit. He was amazed at how well my outfits worked. Light action 6.6 rods and 6 lb test line and I was having a ball. I know folks here may think I am crazy but if you have not tried it your missing out on some fun............LOL When your vertically using crappie tubes and fishing brush piles in 20 foot of water you could do that with a cane pole! I also make a swim bait that works great on Crappie. Fish it like a grub. I have an angler here that posted earlier that my baby swim bait is his favorite bait that I make. He slays Smallmouths on them! I would post pictures of my baits but ain't quite figure out how to do that yet!!

I would post pictures of my baits but ain't quite figure out how to do that yet!!

I nice photo storage site that you can copy and paste photo addresses from is at IMGUR. It also allows editing the photo with many different tools such as size/rotation, brightness, sharpness, color saturation, etc.

I envy your talent with a baitcaster. I only use mine for heavier bass lures,but mine reel are over 8 years old and lack the technical improvements for using lighter lures.

Softbaitmaker

Thanks for the piture posting idea and as for the baitcasting reels the ones I use are not the new ones. The ones I am using I bought back in the late 90's. I bought one and lked it a lot so bought a second one and liked it so well I began buying them 2 at a time till I had a dozen. It did take me a few years of messing with them to get where I am at now with them but it's like anything else. If you practice long enough one of two things will happen. You will make it work or throw it down and never touch it again. I was able to make it work............. emoToast

If you want to go lite, spinning and push button are the way to go for 1/16 oz or less. Push button reels by Pfleuger and Zebco now have infinite anti-reverse, bearings and a decent gear ratio/ spool diameter. If all you use is 1/8 oz or heavier, than baitcast is fine, though the other reel styles are easier to cast and get more casting distance. I never pay more than $30 for a push button.

Softbaitmaker

Yea, my Son in Law bought my daughter and grand kids some of those new push button reels and he said they have come a long way with them in last few years. I did as a kid grown up on the Zebco 33 classics and think I still might have a couple of the stuffed back in a closet somewhere. That 3.8.1 gear ratio that reel had seemed like for ever to get you bait reeled in cause they would cast so far..... emoBang

I have collected a slew of rods and reels over the years. Last count there were 8 zebco combos in the stack. My son Jeremy Davis thinks I am nuts for challenging him to a day on the lake using only Zebco push button reels. I think he is afraid of getting beat!!

The nice thing about push button is they're so easy to maintain and get parts for, though if I had to chose between Zebco and Pfleuger, Pfleuger reels are better in quality, but Zebco had much better customer service.