perferred mono or fluorcarbon line chioce...?

Tight_Lines

I am looking at and now evaluating my choices of lines ( non braided) for my spinning reals. what is your preferred choice of Non-braided line to go with? Thoughts on Trilene or other companies? (IE.. knot strength, casting or anything that regards your favorite line) thanks in advance!

Softbaitmaker

Sufix DNA Co-Polymer is great all around line and is on all of my reels in different weight strenghts. Almost zero line memory, great tensil strenght and great knot strenght. Just hard to find so when I do find it I stock up on it.

Softbaitmaker

I like the strenght of P-Line and use to use it but never lked all that line memory it has or had. Have they improved on that yet?

Grew up with Trilene, Stren, Shakespear and Ande when forced Mono. During college (70's) Floro started climbing up the ladder of usage and this new stuff called braid started showing up. For me it really depends which style of fishing, spinning or casting, which to use.
Now my problem before I explain what I use now. The reel tech has gone off the charts along with the prices. So only the 2 years have I gotten the chance to start playing with what was hot 4 years ago. That means back to school on how to properly work these reels for the pattern fished then playing with lines to find what works for you.
So my go to Spinning is Trilene XL. Consistent quality and strength. XT like Stren...MEMORY and Stiff. Floro is mixing in more frequently now because love Light tackle fishing and because cost is lower finally. Fishing in South Carolina for 40 years, needless to say "Carolina Rig" used always. Yes there is stretch, but look at the rods and reels now. They more than make up for the difference from 30 yrs ago. If you saw Jeremy and I last season you saw me still fishing those 30 yr old rods.
Casting is a mix of everything. Just depends again on how I'm fishing.
If you need your lure on top or very near the surface you need a line that does not sink. Lure deeper, line that does the same.
Breakoffs...to be very honest I can't tell a difference in numbers lost to any specific line choice of same # test. If your always checking your line and knots, losses go down on everything.
Have to find out for yourself what works for you. Jeremy was wigging out on how I was getting fish out of the grass on Nick with 14# trilene xl. How I learned to do it and it still works!!

bassinbrian

Stren, I grew up using it and still do today. For fluro i like invisx. I haven't found a fluro I like for spinning reels yet.

Trilene XL for mono and Berkley Vanish for floro. I've never had a knot/line break because of the line as long as I've made sure I've tied a good knot and retied if the line is starting to wear. I've had problems with P line snaping on me during a hook set and Stren and Sufix have always had too much memory for my liking.

jimwarden

I have used for years and still like Super Silver Thread co-polymer line (only the red/blue label, not the new modern line-junk). It’s only available on eBay since it’s been off the market for years. I buy the 3000 yard spools. It’s limp, strong, and clear with some stretch. The alternative is to use braid with a flourocarbon leader. In this set up I’m using the new Gliss yellow mono-braid with a Seaguar flourocarbon leader (Red Label or InvisX). The Gliss line is super smooth and quiet braid and casts a mile! Knots are my challenge with this setup, but I have the best luck with an Alberto knot to join the braid to fluoro, and Double improved clinch knot if tying braid directly to lure. Photo of Co-Polymer line label attached. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• F9C417A6-539F-44D3-ADC5-666B89376849.jpeg
    F9C417A6-539F-44D3-ADC5-666B89376849.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 205

porthos33

Softbaitmaker - 12/5/2017 1:39 PM I like the strenght of P-Line and use to use it but never lked all that line memory it has or had. Have they improved on that yet?
I don't have to much of a problem with memory on my bait casters until it's really cold. All I do is use line conditioner and it does the trick. CXX 12lb clear 14 bucks for 600 yards. Can't beat it in my opinion. I do like sea guar Invizx for flouro but hate the price. Bought some forever ago and still use it for leader line on my spinning rods.

Softbaitmaker

I know it seems to have been a trend for at least the past 30+ years that anglers feel the need to try anything new on the market and Florocarbon line is no different. My qestion to most is do you actually catch any more fish on a new line of any kind than you did on the line you were previously using?? There is little doubt you are not paying out more for the new stuff but are you catching more fish to make it worth it? Back 35 years ago I was die hard Trilene angler. Then while working in a bait and tackle store a salesman came in from Henry's and while he was there he gave me a spool of a new line called Sufix ProMix co-polymer 12lb test Florscent line to try. That night I spooled up 1 rod with it to fish a small 3 hour tournament that next everning. I had found some 3 -5 lb fish in 3 foot of water a few days earlier and that was going to be my starting point. I put a Fluke on the new line. At the first pod of standing coontail weeds I saw a fish swirl out in front of it and shot the Fluke at the swirl and a 3+ hit it soon as it landed. I boated the fish and in less that 30 minutes I had limited out on 3-4 lb fish on the weed lines at each spot. I was about to leave when I heard a large splash in an open pocket in the weeds and without thinking I shot the Fluke into the open pocket behind the weeds. The rod loaded up and I knew right away it was a big fish and doubts began to come big time that I was going to get the fish out because I only had it on 12 lb line and was wishing I would have sent a jig in there with 20lb line but it was what it was. All at once the bigh fish made a bid to come out into open water and she came out like a bullet. I held a tight line and watched as the line cut off the pruple flowers on top of the weeds like a weedeater. Once in open water I knew she would break the line. She didn't and I culled a 3 with a 5.90 and won the small 20 boat event. After the event was over and there was some of us standing around talking I walked over to my boat and picked up the rod off the deck with the new line on it and began checking for frays and abrashion were the line had cut the weeds. There was none. Not any!!! I asked the Bait and tackle shop owner if he could order the line and he said he could and I told him it would be a great line for the store. When I learned that they might discontinue making the Pro Mix I ordered 1 lb spools with 4000 yards on them in 10, 12 14 and 20 lbs. Now with all this typing to prove a point they did quit making the ProMix for about 4 years and because of all the complaints they got from anglers that were using it they did bring it back and I thnk you can buy it today. I'm still operating off my big spools and I keep it in my refrierator so it remains fresh and just like new. Now with all of that said I have fished with anglers in my boat using their lines and I have fished off the backs of other anglers boats using their lines and I caught as many or more fish than they did and many of the using all the newer high end lines. So my question again is are you catching more fish on that new line you just began using?

camaro88z

On my spinning gear I normally use p line fluroclear. All different weights just depends what I am using rod for. But mostly is bass fishing it is 12. Crappie it is either 4 or 6.

porthos33

Softbaitmaker - 12/10/2017 12:30 PM I know it seems to have been a trend for at least the past 30+ years that anglers feel the need to try anything new on the market and Florocarbon line is no different. My qestion to most is do you actually catch any more fish on a new line of any kind than you did on the line you were previously using?? There is little doubt you are not paying out more for the new stuff but are you catching more fish to make it worth it? Back 35 years ago I was die hard Trilene angler. Then while working in a bait and tackle store a salesman came in from Henry's and while he was there he gave me a spool of a new line called Sufix ProMix co-polymer 12lb test Florscent line to try. That night I spooled up 1 rod with it to fish a small 3 hour tournament that next everning. I had found some 3 -5 lb fish in 3 foot of water a few days earlier and that was going to be my starting point. I put a Fluke on the new line. At the first pod of standing coontail weeds I saw a fish swirl out in front of it and shot the Fluke at the swirl and a 3+ hit it soon as it landed. I boated the fish and in less that 30 minutes I had limited out on 3-4 lb fish on the weed lines at each spot. I was about to leave when I heard a large splash in an open pocket in the weeds and without thinking I shot the Fluke into the open pocket behind the weeds. The rod loaded up and I knew right away it was a big fish and doubts began to come big time that I was going to get the fish out because I only had it on 12 lb line and was wishing I would have sent a jig in there with 20lb line but it was what it was. All at once the bigh fish made a bid to come out into open water and she came out like a bullet. I held a tight line and watched as the line cut off the pruple flowers on top of the weeds like a weedeater. Once in open water I knew she would break the line. She didn't and I culled a 3 with a 5.90 and won the small 20 boat event. After the event was over and there was some of us standing around talking I walked over to my boat and picked up the rod off the deck with the new line on it and began checking for frays and abrashion were the line had cut the weeds. There was none. Not any!!! I asked the Bait and tackle shop owner if he could order the line and he said he could and I told him it would be a great line for the store. When I learned that they might discontinue making the Pro Mix I ordered 1 lb spools with 4000 yards on them in 10, 12 14 and 20 lbs. Now with all this typing to prove a point they did quit making the ProMix for about 4 years and because of all the complaints they got from anglers that were using it they did bring it back and I thnk you can buy it today. I'm still operating off my big spools and I keep it in my refrierator so it remains fresh and just like new. Now with all of that said I have fished with anglers in my boat using their lines and I have fished off the backs of other anglers boats using their lines and I caught as many or more fish than they did and many of the using all the newer high end lines. So my question again is are you catching more fish on that new line you just began using?
</p>

Yeah honestly they say there is not much stretch in flouro but I know for a fact invisx has plenty of stretch. I've tried close to 40 different lines at least and many flouro's. I always go back to p-line cxx for almost everything. One thing I hated most about flouro's was when they would break when I pop the line to get a lure unhung. I fish cranks and traps a lot and when I fished them on Flouro the dang line would break right at the reel when I popped it. If it happened on a long cast the reel would be useless till I put new line on. Confidence is everything in fishing and I'm confident in what I use and confident my wallet will be thicker as well. I've caught thousands of fish this year and the feedback I got was they didn't care what my line looked like, they were just Hungry!</p>

<font size="3">Doug, I know what you mean about having confidence in a certain line and for the life of me I have don't have a clue why I use fluorocarbon leaders with braid, except that the combination is sensitive to the slightest hit, allows the rod and drag to absorb any shocks and I don't lose fish unless my drag is set too tight. I'm talking ultra-light and medium action rods and light lures.

If I can wrestle and net a 6.5 lb catfish plus four other 3-7 lbs and not straighten a light jig hook, I'd say that's the proof of a good line, rod and reel combo - none of which were very expensive.</font></p>

<font size="3">Sure, I've used crap line and reels with unsmooth drags, but like you, after weeding those out I stick with what works and open to testing other brand lines if the price is right. Braid is my line, FC my leader material, neither of which I'm distracted by and both which allows me to work a lure the way I want to.</font>
</p>

</p>

Softbaitmaker

Ok Port33. It has been about 20+ years since I have used any P-Lines at all so want to ask if the P-Line CXX line has got the line memory that all the other P-Lines use to have. Just wondering since I love Co-polymer lines and if i live long enough to use up the big spools I have of ProMix and they quit making it again I would like to know there is another Co-polymer line i can go to that does not have line memory?

zack1a2

P line is a good strong line, but I do seem to have a problem with memory...works great first couple days, but after that it becomes a mess!