What point is it to Cold

zack1a2

I have not ever really fished in the fall or winter, but at what point have you noticed the bite really slows down?

FishingwithRusty

water in the 30's makes the fishing really slow

billyc

This is best lake on tennessee chain in winter time , water temp 49 to 42 can absolutely awsome . Come fish frost bite tournament on saturdays as water gets colder bags get bigger.

Strato-G

emoTskTsk emoAngler When ramp is frozen over & you cannot get the tub in water. Then we take a rod & see if lure skids across ice... emoBawl turn around go to the fire..... emoGeezer emoUSA

Pointer 78

Fished a BFL on Guntersville years ago and the air temp at blastoff was 12 degrees. Discovered real quick not to use braid when it's that cold.

silvertalon

Around now for me- when my fingers get so cold the pain tells me to stay home. But really, if a guy can fish in the cold, this is an outstanding lake in winter.

fischnrod

If you can take the cold weather no time is to cold since the fish have to eat. I have to take blood thinners so when it gets in the 50's my hands and feet start getting cold and when that happens I'm done. I'll bank fish some to get my fix for the sport I love and warm sunny days might get me out in the boat.

zack1a2

Looks like from the answers I need to get outta the tree stand and get to work learning how to fish in the cooler weather lol!

jb366

It's never too cold for the fish, but it can be too cold for the fisherman. My 2 biggest fish have come in December even though from now through the first of March is the worst time of year for me. Spend too much time in the woods to have successfully figured out the cold weather patterns

If you can stand it...FISH IT!! Shoved the rod in the water many times to melt the ice. Go light

If the sun is out and still or a light breeze, no less than a 45 degree air temperature and warm clothes makes being out tolerable - even more so when fish are found that bite. Usually always catch a couple dozen even when the water temp drops to 38.5 degrees.

jsb

I didn't know that it gets to cold but I guess the best answer would be like Derek 81 and Stratos G said when the water gets to hard. I think 15 degrees is the coldest I've fished in. Several years ago we blasted off in a tourament on Dale Hollow it was around 15 and the high got up close to freezing. Now we spent a lot of time dipping out rods in the water thawing out the guides. My biggest fish came in late March and my next biggest came on December the 29. The last fish of the year. Just got to layer, layer and more layers.

jsb

I didn't know that it gets to cold but I guess the best answer would be like Derek 81 and Stratos G said when the water gets to hard. I think 15 degrees is the coldest I've fished in. Several years ago we blasted off in a tourament on Dale Hollow it was around 15 and the high got up close to freezing. Now we spent a lot of time dipping out rods in the water thawing out the guides. My biggest fish came in late March and my next biggest came on December the 29. The last fish of the year. Just got to layer, layer and more layers.