Need Humminbird advice (Sorry Posted Wrong Place)

ChooChooSnakeMan

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place -- now posted in Electronics

I've had my FX21 for almost a year now and am very happy with it except for the electronics. Not the units themselves but the way they are linked and the software. I've got a HB 997 c SI at the helm and a 798 c SI on the bow. Both units are external antenna and both units are linked using the HB interlink box. The first thing I wish was different is that I have to have the helm unit on to have gps and map on the bow unit. I notice that there isn't a cable hooked to the gps plug on the interlink box so the external gps antenna must be hooked to the 997 and the 798 can see the gps info off the 997 through interlink. I have registered both units on myhumminbird and it lists a software update for both to version 6.3. I've been told that I will have to download and then load both 6.3 software versions because 6.3 for the 997 will not be the same as for the 798. If anyone knows that to not be true please speak up. I want to update the software because I think I want to purchase the Lakemaster southeast sd card. I learned that my units with the latest 6.3 software version won't support any higher level maps than the plain Lakemaster maps. My questions for any of you Humminbird gurus out there is: Should I leave the external gps cable connected to the 997 unit or should I try to connect it to the interlink box so that both units will have gps independent of each other? Second question, is the standard Lakemaster maps worth investing in? I understand that if I purchase the Lakemaster sd card that I will have to either move the card between the two units or purchase two cards (ouch!) because the interlink connection does not share maps --- true or not? Lastly, if I don't purchase the Lakemaster card / cards should I even bother to upgrade the software to the highest level supported which is 6.3?

Sorry for the length of this but these units, even though used, make all the other units I've owned look primitive by comparison. I really like the color and side scan. The resolution on the units seems really good, at least compared to the low end finders I've had. Any help / advice is appreciated and where is the best place to buy the Lakemaster cards, direct from HB?

Thanks and I hope everyone has a very blessed CHRISTmas season.