Chickamaunga dam

Blue X

Hey guys im new to your forum. I live about 3.5 hours away in Bristol Va. and plan to fish the chickamaunga dam pretty frequently in 2018.

I have fished a lot in small rivers and large lakes, however I have never fished a big river or below a dam before. I have a 16' grizzly simi v boat with a 25hp motor and 2 digger anchors , will that be a problem in the current below the dam? I would appreciate any safety or boating tips yall could give me to cut my learning curve.

Thanks for your time,
Blue X

fischnrod

Never anchor below the dam NEVER !

If there's a lot of current don't anchor even if your a long way downstream of the dam, it's been fatal to people more than once in the past.

Rules to live by: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE VEST !

Make sure your outboard is in tip top shape mechanically with a tune up so it starts easy

Blue X

Thanks for your reply.

Thats kindly what I thought. I seen youtube videos of people tied up to the dam and anchored up there in the fast water.

porthos33

We anchor down through there all the time. Flow seems to make it better. If you want a shorter drive just go to watts bar or loudon. A lot more stripers up there too

fischnrod

Your more brave than I am , just a few years ago 2 men died after anchoring down there and the strong current pulled the boat under because it was anchored

Mr. S

I never will forget the night I tied off to the wing wall next to the turbine discharge. For what ever reason that escapes me now, over 30 years ago. We were sucked into the turbine discharge tunnel and I had no idea what was in there, my father in law at the time dropped the tie off line in the water emoDoh and it gets wrapped around the prop when I tried to start the motor and get out of there. emoBadLanguage emoTskTsk He grabbed the paddle and couldn't even get us out of the tunnel, so I grab the paddle and with a few strokes we shot out of the tunnel and down the river we drifted until I could figure out how to get the rope out of the prop and get us back to shore. Needless to say I haven't fished below the dam since. My advice, leave the big motor running and ready to go because the current pushes you down stream very quickly. And don't tie off to anything! emoGeezer

Gator

I would never anchor below the dam. As said before be sure your motor is in good shape and starts easily. A few fish aren’t worth dying for.

porthos33

We stay in the seams mainly so we don't have to anchor up there in the turbines. We drift shiners a lot down there and then below the railroad bridge Down to the bend there are tons of places to catch fish. Flow needs to be right for the fish to really turn on good. When the flow is not good you will get blown upstream around the golf course and thats no good. Just watch out for the big rock piles just below the turbines. Don't forget your life jacket above the railroad bridge. Its definitely more dangerous than being on the lake. We have had some wild times down there!

Blue X

how do you keep from getting run over by barges?

are there buoys for the shipping lane thru the city and up to the dam?

I see 2 boat ramps in the river park, are they 24 hr access and which ramp should I use?

rodbuilder2

I Always use River Park but if They are Pulling a Lot of Water it Makes for Interesting Boat Loading

Mr. S

I recommend the one in the River Park, less current to deal with when unloading and loading your boat from the trailer.

fischnrod

Blue X - 12/10/2017 6:30 AM

how do you keep from getting run over by barges?

are there buoys for the shipping lane thru the city and up to the dam?

I see 2 boat ramps in the river park, are they 24 hr access and which ramp should I use?
Yes there are buoys that mark the river channel and you will see the tugboat, barges and recreational boats running the river.

River park ramp but not sure about 24 hour access but I would think yes

Blue X

I see two ramps. not sure I want to use the one closest to the dam.

All I have is 25 hp, in heavy current can I get back to the trailer if I use the one just below 319?

fischnrod

River park ramp would be the one you want to use and should be the 2nd one down river from the dam.
It has a dock you can tie to and the dock also breaks the current so your boat don't take off when you launch it off the trailer

FirstLight

Man, dad and I throw anchor out ALL the time down there; and have for years with no issues. Never above the railroad bridge though. But sometimes you just have to anchor to work an area like you want to. That being said, I always have a sharp blade handy to cut the rope in the event there is an obstruction that washes into the rope and tries to drag the boat down....

Be careful out there.

blownf150

I think a lot of boats that get sunk on the hook is due to stern anchoring. That will sink on in a heartbeat. I’ve seen many go under stern anchored out in the gulf or Atlantic.

Carl

Most of the time, when they are pulling water. You can sit perfectly still in the seam without anchoring.