Rig question

Rig question! Any secrets to throwin the rig without the line rappin around one of the arms. Or is it just part of it?

jb366

I just try to drag my thumb a little more to keep the line taught. Still get line around an arm every once in a while though. I don't throw the rig much though

FishingwithRusty

lob it, dont try to throw it so hard

zack1a2

First rig I ever bought, got it all rigged up...ready for the first cast and tried to throw it like a carolina rig....well it went a long long long way, but unfortunately my line was not attached! Took me a while to buy another one to try it, but i lob them for sure now!

You'll spare yourself the frustration of getting the line wrapped by not overthrowing (like Rusty said). That said, it does happen. Just something you need to check every other cast or so. No different than checking your line for knicks.

Hope I'm interpreting your question correctly - apologize up front in case I missed it.

For me, the a-rig is a go-to presentation when fish are schooling and keying [exclusively] on baitfish. Late fall into winter and spring are the times I rely heavily on the a-rig. (Disclaimer - this is not hard and fast. The a-rig can be killer any time of the year. The a-rig has been most productive for me during the periods listed.)

I'll use it to target feeding fish (I'm looking for those spaghetti-looking wads of arches on my electronix). I also use it as a search bait, like I would a crankbait or spinnerbait. I'll work it on shallow flats and along deeper ledges. I often work it down points and thru the tops of flooded timber. You can see it's a pretty darn versatile tool.

The only thing different about this presentation is the number of things on it. You have 5 (or 3 in MD and other states where number of hooks is limited by law). Your ability to score w/ it is a direct function of your willingness to get out and throw it, learn it. There's another a-rig thread on this page that has some really helpful info on set-up, rigging, etc. REC spending a few mins looking thru it. Having a proper set-up (rod) and rigging (line, heads, baits) means a lot, just like a proper t-rig or c-rig set-up. No real right or wrong but there are some things unique to the a-rig you'll want to pay attention to so you stay in the hunt and don't wear out your shoulders. ;)