Crossbows....where to start?

heath423

I've been removed from deer hunting for years. Decided to pick it back up this year during gun season. Glad I did, as it is still very enjoyable. Looking to invest into a crossbow so that I can participate during the archery season. For the individuals with crossbows point me in a good reliable direction as far as brands/models? It appears you can buy really cheap or really expensive. I'm not looking for a professional competitive shooting crossbow. Just something that will shoot true and consistent, that will hold up over the long term. Suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.

churly

Just make sure to read the reviews of whatever brand you go with. I have never shot one, but I know of several wounded and not recovered with them this season. I’m not knocking cross bows but more cautioning you to practice as much as you can. I highly advise getting a good range finder. Those things shoot so good, I think folks just go to the woods without enough proper preparation. Study the shot placement and stay away from the shoulder blade. Archery season rocks, so do your homework and good luck!

Rob Lee

I have an older “Ten Point” Fusion. It still shoots great. Mine is a little loud (10 years old). I’m sure they have improved. May upgrade next year. You have queried the right group of folks.

heath423

churly - 12/22/2017 6:27 AM

Just make sure to read the reviews of whatever brand you go with. I have never shot one, but I know of several wounded and not recovered with them this season. I’m not knocking cross bows but more cautioning you to practice as much as you can. I highly advise getting a good range finder. Those things shoot so good, I think folks just go to the woods without enough proper preparation. Study the shot placement and stay away from the shoulder blade. Archery season rocks, so do your homework and good luck!

Yes I agree on the practice portion. In the past many years ago I had a compound bow and yes, one must do their homework of shooting often and taking good shots. Nothing could ruins a deer hunt more than hitting one and never recovering I'm sure. Reading reviews....I do. Thanks for your input Churly.

heath423

Rob Lee - 12/22/2017 8:32 AM

I have an older “Ten Point” Fusion. It still shoots great. Mine is a little loud (10 years old). I’m sure they have improved. May upgrade next year. You have queried the right group of folks.

The "Ten Point" brand I have seen. Seems that most are high end of the ones that I have seen. You get what you pay for. Like you said Rob yours still shoots great after 10 years. I will continue my research and looking forward to more great comments and suggestions from the CFF group.

churly

Always said if I bought one, the Excalibur brand would be the first I looked at. Less moving parts and tough as heck

I have had a Barnett for 15 years. never a problem. newer ones are more compact. will split arrows at 45 yrds

heath423

So many choices. I'm looking at all of them to narrow it down to a smaller list. Then hope to be ready to purchase on the price drop ahead of the new models. Ten Points appear to be very durable but they come with a huge price tag.

Radar

I have an Excalibur that I hunt with and I would say Im partial toward them, but any of them shooting 330 plus fps would be a good starting point. It gets down to how much money do you want to spend. As stated by Churly above you have to spend time practicing and learning your equipment. I am very accurate with my setup out to 60 yards, but I prefer shots 30 or less while hunting. Shot placement is everything especially with a bow or crossbow.

heath423

I have not looked at the Excaliburs. I do like what I seen and looked at in the Ten Point products. I see that they have also brought the Horton brand name back as well with a couple different models. For the most part the Ten Point have good reviews on all products. Interesting story behind that company and the CEO Rick Bednar.

heath423

Decided to go with the Horton Legend Ultra Lite by Ten Point. Got a great deal with the model closeout sale. 330fps 175lb draw. Now to practice with it.