Compound bow help needed

mhicks1042

I’ve only hunted with rifle before and am looking to get into bow hunting but am completely clueless on what to buy. I’d like to stay under $500. I know guns but know nothing about bows. What should I get or be looking for in a bow?

churly

I would suggest Harvest Archery in Dayton. They sale several bows on consignment and are quick to rig one up to let you try it out. Ive been into many shops where all you can do is pick the bow up and look at it. Its nice to have somewhere that will actually rig it up with a place to test shoot. any of the modern compound bows will be absolutely deadly with proper practice. I like light, small bows, and I'm not worried about speed. I shoot the Hoyt Carbon defiant because I knew I was going to be walking many miles with it in my hand (did 52 miles on foot this September in Montana). Go draw some bows back and make sure you get good at ranging or buy a good range finder.

RobN

Harvest Archery is a really good shop, I stopped by there Saturday and received excellent service from a very knowledgeable archery tech. I will also add Big Daddy's in Brigeport Alabama has a good archery tech - Conan.

Inenne

Compound bows have a let off of any where from 65-80%. Guys who are shooting 70lbs with a compound with 80% let off are only holding 14lbs after the let off. Those same guys will not be nearly as accurate with a 60lb recurve or longbow. There are sights for recurve bows but honestly for survival bow, stick to the KISS principal. The only thing that replaces practice & experience, is more practice & experience. Shooting a bow without sights is not nearly as difficult as you would think. I had a 35lb fiberglass longbow https://secretstorages.com/best-compound-bow/ for years (my wife inadvertently sold it during a garage sale - she's still is not allowed in the garage). I had a dozen wooden arrows for it and I was ridiculously accurate within 30 yards. Never shot it with anything other than field points though. Never shot broadheads with it. Look on eBay and check Craigs list. You'll want a finger tab or glove for holding the string. I never used an arm guard because, IMO, it promotes the bad habit of locking out your arm when shooting.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube. I'll leave one here for general information, I hope this helps someone.