Best life jacket for the money

TDobson

After hearing the tragic news from the Costa tournament, gets the wheels spinning in the old head about being the best prepared as possible. Looking to purchase new ones, just wanted some info. Any help would be appreciated. And remember to say a prayer for all those involved.

Smalliefan2

I have World Fishing network. All the Canadian filmed shows I watch, the anglers are wearing inflatables the whole time on the water. I would think an inflatable would be easier to fish wearing than the traditional life vest, particularly when bundled up.

BulletTJ

The inflatables are nice, but if your boat will run over 60 mph they will not stay on you. For running at high speeds you need a life jacket with a good zipper, buckles and leg straps. I had a friend get tossed out of his boat at 80 mph. He skipped like a rock. The force of the water ripped his life jacket, shirt and shoes off of him. Not to mention he broke his back. If you are going to cut corners to safe money, don't do it on your life jacket. That is the most important thing in your boat. It can safe your life. JMHO

fischnrod

BulletTJ - 1/6/2018 11:50 AM

The inflatables are nice, but if your boat will run over 60 mph they will not stay on you. For running at high speeds you need a life jacket with a good zipper, buckles and leg straps. I had a friend get tossed out of his boat at 80 mph. He skipped like a rock. The force of the water ripped his life jacket, shirt and shoes off of him. Not to mention he broke his back. If you are going to cut corners to safe money, don't do it on your life jacket. That is the most important thing in your boat. It can safe your life. JMHO

I AGREE 100 %

My understanding is that The float coats are not inflatables, Is that not true ?

FirstLight

I still use the traditional life jacket. Yea it’s hot in the summer but it is added warmth in the winter. I have one big enough that I can adjust to fit over all my winter gear. I keep it on all day some days if real cold. Looking at the post above has me thinking I should probably upgrade the one I got because it only has buckles, no zipper. Good point.

I am a little leery about the inflatables. I’ve heard stories of them detonating out of nowhere in the boat. (Happened to my dad on a couple occasions). And I wonder if there are cases where they malfunction and do not Detonate like they are supposed to if you get thrown in the water?

BulletTJ

Don't get me wrong. I have a Mustang inflatable and my regular Bullet life jacket. I only use the inflatable in the winter when I am fishing or if I know I am just going to be easing around that day. I love the Mustang in the winter because if you fall out of a boat with your Winter gear on it is almost impossible to swim with the added weight. I don't want someone standing around saying he probably wouldn't have drown if he had on a good life jacket. I have a friend that has at least $7,000.00 worth of Lowrance depth finders on his boat and he is using a $40 Bass Pro life jacket. Just a cheap zipper with no buckles. Those depth finders are not going to save your live if you hit the water.

Gator

I use the top life jacket sold at Cabelas, they are around $50 but are on sale a couple times during the year for snout $30. They have 4 buckles and a heavy duty zipper also.

Rob Lee

I’m thinking along the same lines as “FirstLight”. Just a little leary of the inflatables. I also agree with “BulletTJ’s” analogy...in that, you can’t cut corners when it comes to PFDs. Get a good one and wear it. To wit, how many times have you stumbled on the flipping deck while essentially doing nothing. Good thread.

If you want a top of the line life vest look at what water skiers use. Those things can get beat up pretty good and still have to work. Trust me, you can skip across the lake at far less than 80 mph, I have done it a few times when water skiing as a kid at 30 to 40 MPH and if you have a good vest on it will stay on.

Hook1

I have a few of the basic Stearns brand water ski jackets. I bought them during the winter for like 80% off. They aren’t expensive or fancy but I KNOW that they work. It is true about added warmth in cold weather. They keep your torso warmer.

fischnrod

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants but if your going to buy a boat for 50,000 dollars or 10,000dollars , or any boat for that matter surely you can buy a life jacket that will save your life.

cbpbullet

If you were going into a war zone would you ask what bullet proof vest was best for the money? I wouldn't I would buy the best one avaliable, but I think alot of my life.