Reel repair and cleaning

Dirtroadhound

Any suggestions for someone local that cleans and repairs reels, I have four or five I need to get looked at and fixed? Need some with reasonable prices also.
Thanks

Tight_Lines

Ive had the same issue with a couple of mine. there used to be a guy or two local but I have done some recent extensive checking and no one really does it anymore except to send it back to manufacturer. and in that case you can buy another reel for that cost. i have one that at some point im going to try and completely tear down, if it goes well great, if not no big deal, it was a fun project to try. sorry i cant help more.

elwestb

Call Matt Jenkins (Jenko) 423-303-0227.

Dirtroadhound

Just got all 6 of my reels back from Jenko157, wow. Very quick turnaround, great price and great job. Thanks again for the recommendation to him and thanks again to him for a great job. Two of the reels I had given up for dead and now they are back to life and smooth as ever.

Hook1

I know guys that had Jenko work on their reels and he apparently does great work. I have 5 or 6 I plan on having done.

elwestb

I think that I took about 10 reels, maybe more this summer to Matt. About a one week turn around and they all work great. In fact some of the reels I did not realize that anything was wrong with them until Matt did his thang and put the "super tune" on them. Then I sent him some more!

Basser

I have 6 Lew's reels. Two of them were malfunctioning. I was going to just replace them when I remembered this post. I decided to see if Jenko could help me out. He knew what was wrong with the reels when I described the problem over the phone. Since I do not maintain my reels as I should (I just like to fish, not fiddle with the gear), I had Jenko clean and service the 4 reels that worked, as well as, repair the other 2. He had them all back to me in a couple of days and charged a very reasonable price. I have been out fishing three times since then and they all work like new. They cast a mile and retrieve very smoothly. I am eager to see how they work pulling in a big fish. Honestly, right now I would be happy with any fish. Bite has been slow for me. Maybe I need to see if I can go fishing with Jenko!

Backlash

You can do this yourself. Determine how detailed you want to clean. Get the tools(toothbrush, small screwdrivers and the little wrench which comes with the reel, some reel oil and rags. I clean 80% of each reel. When you start, the first one is the one that makes you talk ugly to the reel. Don't drop small parts on a carpeted floor. Once the learning curve is reached, it takes me about 45 minutes to clean each reel and I do it every 12-18 months at a rate of two per day. All my casting reels are lews and Garcia SX and STX models. Keep the schematics from the reel manufacturer and parts can be obtained from them. Cost of parts is reasonable. The freight is not.
P.S. I don't do other people's reels.