Life jackets yes or no?

jsb

Since there has been a couple of drowning's lately of gentlemen doing what they loved. My question is on wearing or not wearing a life jacket and your rules on any one else in the boat with you. I want to remind everyone that each of us is entitled to there opinions regardless where we agree or not!

porthos33

If you want to stay on the cautious side then just get one of those self inflatable belt lifejackets and you can wear it with comfort while fishing. We forget we even have ours on when we are below the dams.

M GO BLUE

porthos33 - 1/13/2018 8:13 AM

If you want to stay on the cautious side then just get one of those self inflatable belt lifejackets and you can wear it with comfort while fishing. We forget we even have ours on when we are below the dams.

What brand/model you guys use? Ever "tested" it?

Thanks,
M

As for wearing life jackets, I'm ashamed to say that the past two weeks have really been an eye opener for me...In the past, I haven't worn them the way I should, rarely if ever. Just can't stand the constrained feeling.

Time for me to change that.

Gator

Always while running and if it’s cold I just keep it on for added warmth. I just bought the belt type to wear all the time in summer. Also a good idea to have kill switch connected to the life jacket or remember to use it. Sometimes I forget the kill switch.

Kirk

I was talking with Tom Helton last night. He and Bobby Copeland were fishing the FLW Okeechobee event when the accident happened with Kissiah and Kaylor. Tom made a really good point that needs to be considered by all of us that fish.

NOT only should we wear a proper life jacket, the color should be something that is easily seen by search aircraft. Green and black PFD's will blend with surroundings and make it very difficult for the aircraft or even boats to see someone. Hell I have a camo life jacket and plan to change that immediately.

Rob Lee

I always wear pfd while running big motor. However, I do not always wear one while fishing. I’m 61 yoa and as previously stated, I have caught myself stumbling while moving around boat. I fish alone and must rethink this habit with hopes of finding a pfd to wear while fishing that is comfortable and not hot. I know, comfort over safety is not smart. Not sure I trust the inflatables. Any suggestions? Great thread.

porthos33

Kirk - 1/13/2018 1:08 PM I was talking with Tom Helton last night. He and Bobby Copeland were fishing the FLW Okeechobee event when the accident happened with Kissiah and Kaylor. Tom made a really good point that needs to be considered by all of us that fish. NOT only should we wear a proper life jacket, the color should be something that is easily seen by search aircraft. Green and black PFD's will blend with surroundings and make it very difficult for the aircraft or even boats to see someone. Hell I have a camo life jacket and plan to change that immediately.
</p>

Very true!! You should just dip that came in chartreuse!!</p>

porthos33

M GO BLUE - 1/13/2018 9:51 AM
porthos33 - 1/13/2018 8:13 AM If you want to stay on the cautious side then just get one of those self inflatable belt lifejackets and you can wear it with comfort while fishing. We forget we even have ours on when we are below the dams.
What brand/model you guys use? Ever "tested" it? Thanks, M As for wearing life jackets, I'm ashamed to say that the past two weeks have really been an eye opener for me...In the past, I haven't worn them the way I should, rarely if ever. Just can't stand the constrained feeling. Time for me to change that.
</p>

I have a few that are self inflatable and all have opened when they hit the water or get to wet in my boat. I've never had them open in the rain though. I've mainly used the onyx brand and all have worked and are cheap to rearmer.</p>

Lx545

I have the cabelas 3500 self inflate. I caught myself not wearing one to many times so I bought the self inflate and keep it on all the time except dead of summer. Better chance of making it if you wear one all the time.

stuckinthetrees

I wear mine about 95 percent of the time. Always when running. Most of the time fishing to. Unless it's really hot out. Never used an inflatable

Pointer 78

Hell John, you nag me to put mine on before we run.

bassinbrian

I'm horrabke on not eating one. Always make dad wear his when running the bid motor. Guess I need to practice what I preach! Has anyone tried the kayak vests? I hear there pretty comfortable to wear all day.