Jig Making Question

Simpl3Man2014

I started making my own jigs last year and I was just curious as to where you guys get your lead ingots? I am currently getting mine on ebay. Just wondering if there's some place local or somewhere that offers a better price to get them from.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Pop-R

Just go to all the tire shops and tell them you will clean all the old wheel weights off their floor for them. Win Win

sdfd29

The only problem with the tire weights is that they are not a "soft" lead and will not pour is some molds. I have used tire weights and probably will not in the future. You can try some of the recycle shops, they may have some lead and it is reasonable. Plumbers lead and some sheet lead is available there, if no one has already bought it.

You will need to check the wheel weights, not all are lead. I had about 10% that were not lead when I melted mine down. They are usually dirty and will take some time and effort to get clean lead. I took half of a day to melt and clean the lead wheel weight that I used.

Make sure you treat your molds with either candle soot or "drop out" if you are not using the soft lead. Best of luck.

FishingwithRusty

i used to get lead from a junkyard, they had the big plates for weighting fork lifts and tractors. they'd chop it up into chunks that would fit in my pot, pretty cheap too

bassncorey

I order mine through Jann’s Netcraft. It comes in 1pound blocks. You can get it from just about any tackle supply company.

bassncorey

They usually ship pretty quick too, I also use fishingskirts.com for my skirt material and hooks. They usually have orders shipped to the house within two days.

Simpl3Man2014

bassncorey - 1/26/2018 9:50 PM

They usually ship pretty quick too, I also use fishingskirts.com for my skirt material and hooks. They usually have orders shipped to the house within two days.

Yea I use fishingskirts.com for pretty much everything else.

Kickerfish

I'm actually planning on getting into this myself. Any advice on the type of melt pot I get? Do you guys use the top or bottom pour?

bassncorey

I use both. I use a production (bottom pour) for jigs and a ladle pour (top) for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. It makes it easier for me to pour around the wires.

sdfd29

I use a bottom pour pot. If I need to, I use a ladle to transfer the lead from it for the buzz baits and spinner baits. The only issue I have had is that I bought this in the early '80s and the spacing was not tall enough to fit all of the molds. I had to put some spacers on the pot so that the molds would fit. I think all of the newer pots do not have this issue.

Simpl3Man2014

Kickerfish - 1/31/2018 8:08 AM

I'm actually planning on getting into this myself. Any advice on the type of melt pot I get? Do you guys use the top or bottom pour?

Sounds like I’m a little less qualified to answer this than some of the other guys. I don’t pour anything other than jigs and I use a small top pour I got from tackle warehouse, which is where I also bought my molds. It can be a little tedious, but I’ve enjoyed it so far. There are several good videos on YouTube to help you get started. Milliken Fishing put this one out and I used it as a guide when getting started. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/B4LMqwU95rk

weims

I get old fittings from our public works department. Keep in mind that they will be dirty just like wheel weights. I melt them in an old pot and ladle off the trash so the won't foul my bottom pour. Once clean I use the recessed sides of a do-it mold to mold ingots till I need them.

Kickerfish

Simpl3Man2014 - 1/31/2018 11:34 AM

Kickerfish - 1/31/2018 8:08 AM

Sounds like I’m a little less qualified to answer this than some of the other guys. I don’t pour anything other than jigs and I use a small top pour I got from tackle warehouse, which is where I also bought my molds. It can be a little tedious, but I’ve enjoyed it so far. There are several good videos on YouTube to help you get started. Milliken Fishing put this one out and I used it as a guide when getting started. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/B4LMqwU95rk

That's exactly the video that's got me wanting to get started on this little adventure. He made it look so easy.