New fishing license again

EricM

It's time to get your new license again. Of course, some of us now have the lifetime wrinkly (old folks) forever (or as long as we last) license. I just thought I'd help some of those young folks with, uhh, memory problems.

It's time to get your new license again. Of course, some of us now have the lifetime wrinkly (old folks) forever (or as long as we last) license. I just thought I'd help some of those young folks with memory problems.

It's time to get your new license again. Of course, some of us now have the lifetime wrinkly (old folks) forever (or as long as we last) license. I just thought I'd help some of those young folks with, uhh, memory problems.

Rob Lee

We pay big bucks for “Sportsman’s License “ that resembles a grocery store receipt. However, for an extra five dollars the TWRA will provide a plastic card that others like Food City; Auto Zone and many others provide two for your wallet and two for your key chain at NO cost.

jb366

They were talking about increasing the price yet again. Don't know if it will hit this year or next though

Hook1

Mine will auto renew at the end of the month. When I bought them online last year I chose to auto renew yearly. Hopefully it works right and goes smooth.

Softbaitmaker

I got my Senior License 6 years ago and don't think I have been fishing but 1 time since I got it and before when I was paying for one I fished all the time................... emoScratch

rsimms

Doing the Math on Lifetime Licenses - When I was in my forties I always bought the annual Sportsman License that covered everything you might need. I did that for a lot of years until one year when they had already announced a pending license increase. I did the math and determined that if I paid $1,200 (at that time) for the Lifetime License it would pay for itself in about eight (8) years. I told my wife I wanted to do that and she thought for a moment and then asked, "If you die before then do I get the money back?" emoEek Smart woman. emoBigsmile

But, I did it and indeed it paid for itself. Nowadays I figure the State of Tennessee is actually paying me to hunt & fish. emoEvil

I just now did the math on the CURRENT cost of Sportsman's Licenses and Lifetime Licenses (for that age group, 13 - 50 yoa). Now the payback period is almost 12 years (11.9 to be exact).

If you're 13 that's an excellent investment. If you are 50, not so much (Lifetime Lic. price drops at 51).

But bottomline, if you (or your kids) are the type that would routinely buy the annual Sportsman License, you really should sit down and do the math on a Lifetime License.

On an unrelated sidenote... a year or two ago the Legislature passed a new law that says if you were BORN in Tennessee - but now live out-of-state - you can still apply/buy a Resident License. Lots of folks don't know this. See: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/NativeTNApp.pdf

Smalliefan2

Eric and Richard are right. I bought my lifetime in 2000, saved me a ton annually, and when I was out of state and came back on vacation. Buy young or after 50.

Simpl3Man2014

Hook1 - 2/17/2018 6:46 PM

Mine will auto renew at the end of the month. When I bought them online last year I chose to auto renew yearly. Hopefully it works right and goes smooth.

I did not see this option. I will have to look into it this year.