WalMart Kayaks Decent?

whitakermk

Hey guys, I have no Idea about this... but I've been asked by several friends to get a Kayak to go fishing with them. I'm not a Kayak type of guy. Last time I did something like that was canoes in Boy Scouts back in the early 80's.

But, I'll try it. My question is are the Kayaks at Wal-Mart worth it? Besides being cheap... I was looking at a larger one for my weight and frame and it was almost $250 bucks cheaper than Bass Pro, Sportsman Warehouse etc last year.

Just looking for some basic thoughts. I'm not going to go full out on a kayak - Just wondering if the Wal-Mart versions are worth it, safe, etc, etc. - thanks

porthos33

I feel yah on not wanting to break the bank on this. I didn't either but I needed a way to fish a small lake I know of where some bass in the 12-14lb range have been caught. I went really cheap and just bought a little blow up 8 ft raft with the two oars. It worked out perfect! I just bring up to 3 rodsand lay them in the floor in between my legs with a little tackle drink and anchor. I'll fish in that thing non stop for 8-12 hours when I use it and I'm pretty good and stiff afterwards. I've used the older walmart kayaks too and they were not bad. I haven't fished the nice ones but I'm sure they are a bit more comfortable. For the little stuff I'm doing the raft suits my needs. Just gotta watch those treble hooks and keep some gorilla tape with you!

Blue76 on here is one of our local kayak pros. I'm sure he can chime in with some great advice!

Mr. S

You can find some on Craigslist from time to time...

JEEPnFISH

I have the bright green tahoma. Its 10ft long. I love it!

I've fished from my 8ft daylite and its not as comfortable.
You wouldn't be dissatisfied with the tahoma.

whitakermk

I've been looking on craigslist and window shopping. I have an invite to borrow one and go with some friends. Probably going to try that out first and see how I like it. Thanks everyone for the info.

bullshot

I highly suggest paddling the specific make/model before buying. Usually buying a used name brand kayak is better in the long run, as more than likely you will resell in the next year or so. Buying name brand will have more resale value, plus you typically get a more comfortable and user friendly kayak from the beginning. Look at Jackson (made in TN), Native, Hobie, Wilderness System etc.