Lamprey on the south Chickamauga Creek confluence to main river..

Tight_Lines

So was fishing for white bass on the South Chick creek confluence to main river today. And one of the fish I pulled in had a Lamprey stuck to it! I was very UNAWARE we had Lamprey in our lake! My wife and i ski and swim on the chickamauga lake and now I'm a little worried about coming out of the water with some of these guys stuck to me! Should I be worried???

sdfd29

The first one that I saw was over 25 years ago. I have seen them up to almost a foot long. It was on a very skinny bass that weighed about two pounds and should have weighed six.

Tight_Lines - 2/24/2018 6:49 PM

So was fishing for white bass on the South Chick creek confluence to main river today. And one of the fish I pulled in had a Lamprey stuck to it! I was very UNAWARE we had Lamprey in our lake! My wife and i ski and swim on the chickamauga lake and now I'm a little worried about coming out of the water with some of these guys stuck to me! Should I be worried???

Better stay outta the water!!!! Just kidding they are native to all waters around here and harmless

Dgreen

Aries 181 - 2/25/2018 8:00 AM

Dgreen - 2/24/2018 8:33 PM

Nick has them too. Like fishinvol i see them every year. Look a lot like greenpumkin!
He was on Nickajck.

Bill
The creek feeding into Chic tail waters, Nick head waters I guess if you want to get technical. emoWorthy

porthos33

Man there are tons of these things! I've seen a bunch already this year and every other year. That is why bass love the shakeyhead.

Muskrat

I've taken quite few off bass and crappie over the years and you can often see where a lamprey has been attached to a fish. Here's a pic of one I removed from a bass. It was attached right between it's eyes.

Attachments

• lamprey.JPG
    lamprey.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 173