flipping bushes

FishingwithRusty

absolutely one of favorite ways to fish and the next few weeks are prime time for snatching "BIGS" out of bushes. problem is chick has no water in the bushes and few bushes to be found.

so...........where's the nearest place to flip some bushes in the next couple of weeks? i really dont want to drag the boat all the way back to Barkley

porthos33

Dude I feel yah!! It is my absolute favorite thing to do!! Especially at kentucky lake. When that water is right we tear it up there! I usually just flip reeds here when the water is up

vhype

Go to the back ends of the bays and spot dark spots which should be big stumps. Anything that wood should work but if it's in the sun that would be the ticket. Shady spots that are too dark won't work as well.

churly

It’s prime time on KY right now. Normandy, Tim’s, and center hill were all in the bushes last week. Priest has been over full pool for weeks and the flipping is great up the river

jr_37355

Man come on down to woods resavoor in tullahoma 2 ft of grass all around bank abushes everywhere some of the biggest smallmouth in tenn an overlooked jewel and water seldom fluxawaits alwats summer pool

FishingwithRusty

jr_37355 - 3/13/2018 9:06 PM

Man come on down to woods resavoor in tullahoma 2 ft of grass all around bank abushes everywhere some of the biggest smallmouth in tenn an overlooked jewel and water seldom fluxawaits alwats summer pool

sounds AWESOME!!!! what kind of bushes are they?

Rusty - I'm gonna guess the TN River gets clogged w/ floaters after a good rain, like every other river system. As things settle down those floaters often end up in the backs of creeks and main lake/river cuts or coves. I've caught some of my best fish flipping those logjams. The logjams are still there even as the water recedes. They're often one of the first places fish flock to as the water rises again.

Try running a frog over the tops of them when it warms up a bit. Just sayin' . . .

FishingwithRusty

31airborne - 3/14/2018 9:35 AM

Rusty - I'm gonna guess the TN River gets clogged w/ floaters after a good rain, like every other river system. As things settle down those floaters often end up in the backs of creeks and main lake/river cuts or coves. I've caught some of my best fish flipping those logjams. The logjams are still there even as the water recedes. They're often one of the first places fish flock to as the water rises again.

Try running a frog over the tops of them when it warms up a bit. Just sayin' . . .

ive seen the logjams on lots of rivers but havent seen any on chick but thanks for the idea

FishingwithRusty

jr_37355 - 3/13/2018 9:06 PM

well, turns out its about 2hrs from the house to the ramp at woods.........if im gonna drag the boat that far im going on to barkley for some SERIOUS bush flipping

FishingwithRusty

churly - 3/13/2018 5:34 PM

It’s prime time on KY right now. Normandy, Tim’s, and center hill were all in the bushes last week. Priest has been over full pool for weeks and the flipping is great up the river

ill have to look into normandy(not sure where it is), well heck have to look at them all i guess. thanks!

FishingwithRusty

Watermelonred - 3/14/2018 11:46 AM

What is your favorite bait to flip brush with and what color

its like a Zcraw but a solid body with a punch skirt

FishingwithRusty

sorry, totally left out color. green pumpkin if water is relatively clear, junebug or black neon if dirty

silvertalon

IMO, large laydowns are best for pitchin'. There's not a lot of good buckbrush around here especially below full pool. I hear Weiss Lake is packed with all types of cover and is about 1 1/2 hr drive- and it's been on fire for a couple of years. Thats were I'd like to try.