2000 Johnson 225 HO VRO

dtw2

Working fine, should I disable or leave it?

M GO BLUE

DITCH IT. It is a pain to mix fuel, but that way you'll never have to worry about a mechanical failure turning your engine into a grenade. Lots of links online about how to do it...VERY EASY.

...and you can probably get 50 bucks out of it on Ebay!

Oldman

ditch it before you loose a motor.they are good for nothing but trouble.

M GO BLUE

...after giving this some more thought,(and if memory serves) I think it has to remain in place as the pump. Just have to disconnect a few wires and install a cap on the oil inlet.

I've been running black EFI engines for several years now, but back when I ran blue engines I ALWAYS disabled the oil mixing function. I did know SEVERAL guys that lost powerheads over faulty VRO.

...so if you decide to disable, you WON'T be able to get that $50 out of it on Ebay.

IMO, I would still DITCH THAT FUNCTION though!

silvertalon

The oil pump diaphram is just as reliable as the fuel pump diaphram in the VRO. I've been working on VRO pumps for 30 years. Don't listen to forum talk. Go ahead and pre mix if it suits you. You will burn more oil and make your rings more likely to to stick and cause a failure. Use quality oil either way.

dtw2

Well I’ve heard these model VRO with alarms are a lot better than the early models!