Looking at new boats Nitro-Ranger-Phoenix (Need Opinions)

Bomber 175

Best ride Gas mileage Best fishing I am looking at 20 ft with 250 hp Thanks for any help.

In my opinion, Phoenix is your best all around boat in every aspect. I have had 5 and they are a fine fishing machine. Would be happy to take you for a ride if you are interested!

jb366

I had a ranger and now a phoenix. Ranger has all the fancy bells and whistles, a little more attention to detail than most, and is very stable to fish from. But the ride leaves alot to be desired. The heavy chop to rollers the chick gets when they're rolling current and the wind is out of the south will loosen your teeth in a ranger. A 4 blade helps because of added lift but it's a flat running hull by design.

Phoenix isn't quite as fancy as the C or L series rangers but you can load them down with as much as you want. Build quality is solid. If you want to search and nitpick you can find a flaw here or there but you can do that with any boat.
The ride is the biggest reason why I have one. I took one for a spin then it was only a matter of picking a color and a motor. The front deck is smaller than the ranger but it doesn't fish small by any means. The design of the hull that makes it ride so good gives up a little stability with the tm down but it's still stable to fish from. They do chine walk a little when you get into the lower 70's but as long as your load is balanced it doesn't take much to counter it.

Fuel mileage will be more dependent on what motor you choose. The G2 will be the best followed by the pro xs then the sho. But they're all fairly close. The pro xs and sho come about to about even when you factor in buying dfi oil and running 89 octane in the sho.

I'm with BullMerc - of the three option you listed PHX is, by far, the best overall. Ride, storage layout, performance in all kinds of conditions are superior in the PHX. That said . . .

Fuel efficiency will be more a function of how you drive your boat than it will be a matter of which boat you chose. In my Triton, the 5200-5400 rpm range is kinda the sweet spot. My buddy's PHX is a little higher - around 5500-5600 rpm. If you load it up w/ tackle and people your fuel efficiency will suffer. If you keep it loader lighter it'll improve. Yes, some hulls are inherently more efficient by design but I don't know that it's discernible. Driving in the sweet spot range compared to running WOT all the time is very easily discernible.

Corey

My first new boat was a nitro z8 in 2014 an it’s the last nitro I will own the ride is ok but quality is just awful.

finbully

Best way to figure this out is go to the dealers and lake test.

I like Ranger and their 500 series hull is a big improvement over the previous version. I could tell the difference the first minute riding in the newer hull.

FishingwithRusty

of the 3, Phoenix! great layout for fishing, the 9series carries more width to the front of the boat vs the 721. the 721(with a 250ProXS) i ran for almost a year was an 80mph boat, was stable and fun to drive. trim the nose and do a 180 turn at 55mph with ease. if i was buying a new boat and money wasnt an issue it would be a Sterling, with Phoenix being a close second.

sdfd29

Don't overlook a Basscat. I know they don't have a dealer locally, but I have been very happy with mine and the customer support is the best in the business.

Bomber 175

Thanks for your help, test drove the ranger today wasn’t what I thought it would be, test driving the Phoenix 721 pro tomorrow will let you know how it was.

FirstLight

This is an interesting post! A lot of positive feedback for Phoenix boats. I guess that’s why we are seeing more and more of them on the water. Since I was a kid, all I wanted was a Ranger so that’s what I got, and I love it. It’s an 18 1/2 footer. Down the road if I get a bigger rig, I’ll have to drive a Phoenix. I love the look of Skeeters too.

The only bass boats I’ve ridden in are 3 Tritons and 2 rangers. All different size boats, but similar hull designs so I don’t know any different. They all are solid rides in a chop. That said, I would like to drive a lighter hull sometime.

For what it’s worth, I have heard from 2 different buddies that nitros are good for guys that are sponsored because they get regular upgrades. But hear/say on the nitro is not so good.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the Phoenix....

elwestb

From what you have suggested I would also go with the Phoenix. Then for your new boat be sure to look at the Yamaha SHO four stroke engine! The fuel economy, power, is unbelievable!

Hmmm. The Triton has adjustable seats. You must be really tall. My partner also drives a Triton - he's 6'3" and has more than enuff room.

Fshn Cpa

I have a Stratos but a guy loaned me his Skeeter. That was a while ago but that was the nicest riding boat I have ever been in. Have been in a couple of the Phoenix also and think they are a good ride. The Ranger ride depends on the model. Rode in a Nitro once and was almost thrown out of the boat.

Bomber 175

Just finished test driving the Phoenix in pretty choppy water and it rode great and had more speed than the other two boats, I think my minds made up now the Phoenix is the winner.

Blue76

What was the other boat you test drove besides Ranger? I have a Ranger and while it is a great fishing platform the ride isn't as good as others I have been in. I was also impressed with Phoenix when i was a co angler in one on a rough windy day. I was also very impressed with a basscat but the water was smooth that day. Never been in a Skeeter but I hear they also ride very good. What I don't want is a boat difficult to drive at higher speeds. I had rather lose a few MPH and have a safer ride.