Who has a early 2000’s mercury xr6? Help!

Kickerfish

I have an 01 xr6 150. The oil reservoir on top of the motor has the cap and some tubing on the left hand side if you are looking at it from the boat. The tube runs down to a 3 way. I believe one tube delivers oil to the motor. The other part of the 3 way on mine is not connected to anything and it’s allowing oil to leak out. Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be there?

If this makes no sense let me know and I’ll try to explain it better.

Thank you guys!

silvertalon

The 3 way is a check valve that vents the air out of the reservoir. That is why it's not connected to anything. Since the oil delivery on a merc is a pressure system, the res needs to vent air pressure if it exceeds 2 psi otherwise air would get into the oil and pump. You can cap off the end that is dripping. I don't think that 3 way check valve is available any longer but you can look on 'boats.net' by clicking on mercury outboards then enter your serial number. Also, A lot of shops may have one of those 3 way valves just laying around from a disabled oil injection system.

Kickerfish

silvertalon - 4/16/2018 10:21 AM

The 3 way is a check valve that vents the air out of the reservoir. That is why it's not connected to anything. Since the oil delivery on a merc is a pressure system, the res needs to vent air pressure if it exceeds 2 psi otherwise air would get into the oil and pump. You can cap off the end that is dripping. I don't think that 3 way check valve is available any longer but you can look on 'boats.net' by clicking on mercury outboards then enter your serial number. Also, A lot of shops may have one of those 3 way valves just laying around from a disabled oil injection system.

Thanks for the info and understanding what I meant! lol

So the valve will allow oil to escape if it exceeds 2 psi?