Fishing lines from personal docks..

Tight_Lines

just wondering... do you look for and respect fishing lines from a personal docks? my parents live on Watts Bar lake and i do a lot of fishing up there. i like to set up a catfish rod off their dock, and ( being that catfish are ones you have to usually wait for) after fishing for other fish for a while, will then leave my cat rod out and unattended but check it periodically maybe each hour and have done this for years with pretty good success. i hope i am not irritating any bass or other fisherman here that fish from boats.. though just wanted everyone's view point. they are in a cove in deep water and many fisherman will fish their side of the cove and it seems to be getting more common that my line is either cut, or has been moved out of they way. just looking for opinions and hopefully not upsetting anyone... thanks in advance.
good fishing to all,

I, for one, respect any/all lines in the water. I will intentionally divert away from a dock if someone is fishing on it. If there's an unattended line out I work around it.

silvertalon

You might slide a bobber down your line and clip one just below the rod tip- as markers. A respectable attempt to display your unattended rod would be nice as to not irritate an angler that might otherwise hang up on your line. just an idea.

fischnrod

31airborne - 4/16/2018 11:20 AM

I, for one, respect any/all lines in the water. I will intentionally divert away from a dock if someone is fishing on it. If there's an unattended line out I work around it.

YEP, WHAT HE SAID IF I SEE IT . SOMETIMES I'M SO INTO FISHING THE AREA I MISS STUFF LIKE A ROD SET UP ON A DOCK. I'VE ACTUALLY MISSED A BOAT FISHING ON ONE SIDE OF A DOCK BECAUSE I WAS TARGETING A STUMP ON A POINT NEXT TO THE DOCK AND WANTING TO MARK THE SPOT SINCE THE WATER WAS DOWN AND I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO SEE IT LATER.. I FELT LIKE A DUMMY AND APOLOGIZED AND HE JUST THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY AND ACCEPTED BUT THAT DIDN'T MAKE ME FEEL ANY LESS STUPID emoBang

JEEPnFISH

As long as I see the lines, I treat it as if someone is there and I just move on giving a wide space to avoid the lines.

Liveliner

Tight_Lines - 4/16/2018 8:58 AM just wondering... do you look for and respect fishing lines from a personal docks? my parents live on Watts Bar lake and i do a lot of fishing up there. i like to set up a catfish rod off their dock, and ( being that catfish are ones you have to usually wait for) after fishing for other fish for a while, will then leave my cat rod out and unattended but check it periodically maybe each hour and have done this for years with pretty good success. i hope i am not irritating any bass or other fisherman here that fish from boats.. though just wanted everyone's view point. they are in a cove in deep water and many fisherman will fish their side of the cove and it seems to be getting more common that my line is either cut, or has been moved out of they way. just looking for opinions and hopefully not upsetting anyone... thanks in advance. good fishing to all,
</p>

</p>

If you have a License or Permit, You have as much right to fish as someone in a 100K Boat. If your method of fishing is Legal and your line is set out. That is Your Spot. There are no laws that say others can not fish on top of you, However it is common respect that other fishermen should not interfere with your fishing, equipment or methods.. But The World if filled with Jerks and too many self-serving thieves that may take an opportunity to borrow your unattended equipment. Fortunately many times more fishermen are like the members here on CFF.</p>

</p>

Tight_Lines

Thank you all for responding... again i don't like upsetting anyone, or doing something out of honor system. though i do like to chase big cats off my parents dock on the weekends that i am there. SILVERTALON, thanks for advice with fishing bobber as an identifier! i will use this next time to help identify my unattended lines from now on. again thanks for everyone's thoughts and information.

Liveliner

That float marker is very simple to add after your lines artte set. Add any type float by clipping it into the Eye of a Snap swivel. Open the clip and place your line in the clip. Allow it to slide down your line to the water. There will be very little resistance to your Line. When you retrieve your bait, the float will slide down the line and out of the way.

Liveliner

Silverfish - 4/16/2018 6:55 PM Liars, makes y'all so mad you want to pull their rod off dock ....
</p>

</p>

Yeap... I have them on video...</p>

</p>