225 Mercury Opti Max problems

Rob Lee

this morning the motor would not get the boat on plane. Would only run about 8 or 9 mph. It would eventually get up to 15 mph and on plane and would top out around 35 mph. And idea or suggestions? Who to take it to for repair? Thanks for any help.

finbully

The first couple of things I would check:

Does it have quality (fresh) fuel
Is the fuel bulb okay? A cracked bulb equals air leaks so you will not get enough fuel
Check fuel hoses for kinks and tightness
Make sure all of the plug wires are connected with a "click" you can hear
Check inside cowl to make sure a bird has not made a nest in it - especially if it sits outside

Rob Lee

I put fresh fuel in the boat this morning. The last trip when running about 50 mph on plane I noticed the engine cut out slightly a couple of times. It has never did this before I will check the fuel bulb and hoses. I sincerely appreciate your response, thanks.

FishingwithRusty

finbully gave you some good trouble shooting tips.

lots of folks have good things to say and fish n fun, personally i would try to get it to Romie at Island Cove(fortunately ive not needed him to work on my motor but i have been impressed in the interactions ive had with him.)

Rob Lee

They have serviced my motor before. Only routine maintenance so to speak. No complaints here with Ronnie and Terry at Island Cove. Thanks for the response.

jbh3

Without knowing any specifics about your engine or it's service history AND assuming you aren't hearing any warning beep(s), I would be suspect lack of spark on one or more cylinders. Could be fouled plugs or failure of the coil(s) that service the cylinder(s). Need to perform a spark test when the problem is occurring. As stated above fuel restriction could also be a problem. If your fuel lines and bulb are more than 4-5 years old and the bulb won't get/stay hard I would look close for signs of deterioration. Inspect the fuel filter on the engine for little yellow bits of fuel hose liner and put a new one in while you've got it apart. In addition to the shops mentioned above, Bunch Marine up in Harriman runs a great shop and is a sponsor of this board. I would not continue to try to run the engine until the problem(s) are resolved. Best of luck.

Rob Lee

No warning tones/ alarms. Motor has had routine maintenance. Primer bulb is hard. To be perfectly honest, I’ve never removed the cowling myself. Just talked to Ronnie at Island Cove...two week back log. I’m sure everyone is busy. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

jbh3

Rob Lee - 5/14/2018 2:55 PM

No warning tones/ alarms. Motor has had routine maintenance. Primer bulb is hard. To be perfectly honest, I’ve never removed the cowling myself. Just talked to Ronnie at Island Cove...two week back log. I’m sure everyone is busy. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
</p>

I stay out of there too. Really not a lot a "normal" person can do to address problems on those things. For most of us, it's cheaper in the long run to establish a working relationship with a good shop. A two week backlog this time of year will be the norm at any shop you'd want to use. I'd try to find on your comfortable with and get a place in line. Hope you can get if fixed soon!
</p>

silvertalon

When did you have it serviced last? Opti's need a new set of plugs about every year under normal use. Sounds like a fouled plug, ignition coil or coil driver, possibly a TPS failure or an exhaust divider plate gasket. But from the cutting out you describe, sounds like ignition or injector. Or, an electric fuel pump running weak. If a cyl is missing at idle on an opti, you may never know it as the computer compensates for that by maintaining steady rpm's. I will be in the shop tomorrow. But, I don't have a DDT to read codes yet. But I can probably figure it out fairly quick old school. But, if you do need a DDT, I know where to send you to get it checked out pretty fast. PM me and let me know. I'll be fishing Wed and then the heavy rain rolls in.

Rob Lee

silvertalon - 5/14/2018 6:47 PM

When did you have it serviced last? Opti's need a new set of plugs about every year under normal use. Sounds like a fouled plug, ignition coil or coil driver, possibly a TPS failure or an exhaust divider plate gasket. But from the cutting out you describe, sounds like ignition or injector. Or, an electric fuel pump running weak. If a cyl is missing at idle on an opti, you may never know it as the computer compensates for that by maintaining steady rpm's. I will be in the shop tomorrow. But, I don't have a DDT to read codes yet. But I can probably figure it out fairly quick old school. But, if you do need a DDT, I know where to send you to get it checked out pretty fast. PM me and let me know. I'll be fishing Wed and then the heavy rain rolls in.

Pm sent

Tn bullet

Send me a pm I would not go to island cove definitely fish n fun and see tom or pm me and I’ll give you another guys number that is great on mercs

churly

Sounds like a coil pack possibly. I had one go bad a few months ago. I used a spark plug tester to diagnose and fix the problem in my driveway in 10 minutes with the ears hooked up and motor running. Good ole youtube....

Rob Lee

Problem resolved...thanks to Glenn (Silvertalon). Took boat to his shop expecting to leave it. He fixed it while I waited. Replaced plugs; Ran compression test and even filed my prop. Went to lake today and boat came out of the hole and got on plane quickly. Oh, and did I tell you...he didn’t hold me up. Did I say reasonable? Dang skippy. Plus he gave me much advice on future maintenance at no charge. LOL. Good guy! Thanks a lot Glenn!

silvertalon

Thanks for the plug Rob, lol. It was good to meet you and a pleasure to help out on a moments notice. It doesn't always work out so smoothly. Thanks and- Tight Lines!