Striper fishing Nick a Jack

JMKerns

We are planning a long weekend trip striper fishing on Nick a Jack lake. I normally troll live shad behind planer boards and down lines. I plan on trying below the dam the 1st day then moving to the main lake the next day. Are there any bait shops in the area that sell live shad. I can throw the cast net fine I just want to have bait for the 1st day or so until I can find bait on my own. Also any help with fishing the main lake for stripers is appreciated. Im not sure if i should start up the narrower part of the river near Hales Bar or stay on the main lake channels were its much wider?

rsimms

I haven't been down there but from what I hear from friends you shouldn't have any problem catching bait below the Dam. I do not know of anyone who sells live shad... large bait shiners maybe, but not shad.

As for fishing the main lake, I would be surprised if you caught any stripers up there.

Obviously you know your fishing technique better than me, but in my years of experience it is very rare to hear of anyone catching stripers above Nickajack Dam. I sure hope you'll share a report with us following your trip.

A lot more strippers caught below the dam at the mouth of the Sequatchie River

jwkiker79

catfish170 - 5/14/2018 4:34 PM

A lot more strippers caught below the dam at the mouth of the Sequatchie River

I'm not being mean at all because I'm one of the worlds worst at typing and spelling but just the image of a lot more strippers being caught below the dam is hilarious! I really need to go there stripper fishing could be fun lol emoLaugh emoLaugh

sometimes those P"s can get away from you....LOL

spuds704

I agree with Mr. Simms, I've never seen anyone trolling for stripers in Nickajack lake. If I were going after stripe, I'd go below the dam, use Foley Spoons in white or chartreuse Carolina rigged, two foot leader, a heavy swivel with a half to one ounce barrel sinker above the swivel. Park just to the left side of the short wing wall that separates the turban discharge and the flood gates, and cast up into the boils. let it sink for a second, the big ones run along the bottom, usually. There's usually a lot of shad in the same area, a good place to use your cast net. You can also go to the right of the wing wall, up past the boil of the # 1 turban and use live blue gill. No weight, just chunk it along side the wall. If you're lucky, the skip jack and white bass will be running and you can catch fish until your arms fall off. One other thing, the right side of the wall only works if the # 1 turban in running, and don't be in there when they open that unit either, the back wash will take back into the dam. When they sound the siren you should move out of there. Good luck, let us know how you do and how you did it.