Long time lurker

pakjohn

Moved here from Lake Hartwell to retire, long story but like the Tennessee river as well as Hartwell, would say better but so much fishing pressure here. I'm mostly retired and wanting to improve my skills with bass and crappie. Shad lakes fish differently than blueback and I have a fair bit to learn.

I appreciate the reports I've read here and hope to contribute if even in a small way. I will be selling my tournament rigged 16 ft jon and have purchased a 2017 G3 with a 90 Yamaha, next stop Johnny at DSJ for some electronics and trolling motor.

So far this year I've been fishing Riverpark and impressed by the smallmouth bite, nothing like that at Hartwell. Caught a 12 lb drum this morning, my first. Thought for a minute I had a record till I saw the gold.

By the way, I believe my old boat would be ideal for a high school or college bass club member to start out on, if you know of a FB account of local clubs I'd appreciate a heads up.

Tight lines
PakJohn

Welcome! I bought that exact G3 last year and love it. The fishing pressure was a bit of a shock to me as well. To make matters worse, I'm a ways from retirement age, rarely fish tournaments, and fish mainly on the weekends. Also, DJ's Electronics did a great job hooking me up with electronics. Good luck out there.

Rob Lee

Have you considered posting boat on forum. As I have witnessed, sale items go pretty quickly. Welcome and good luck.

BulletTJ

Welcome I have a couple of friends that call Hartwell their home lake. I do agree with you about the fishing pressure on the Chick. I am glad the lake is doing well but I sure do wish it was a lot less crowded.

Smalliefan2

Welcome. Chick is a bit different from Hartwell, a little more color. Lived in Anderson for a couple of years. The bass are bigger also. The view is much better from inside the forum.

pakjohn

Springmillvol - 5/18/2018 10:19 AM

Welcome! I bought that exact G3 last year and love it. The fishing pressure was a bit of a shock to me as well. To make matters worse, I'm a ways from retirement age, rarely fish tournaments, and fish mainly on the weekends. Also, DJ's Electronics did a great job hooking me up with electronics. Good luck out there.

I was going to buy a Tracker, they do a good job of matching trailer to boat so you get maximum motor size for a given package length but balked when I found out they have a wooden deck. Really wanted an Xpress but this boat was too good to pass up. After looking at it I feel its a really good boat and love that it's a Yamaha.

I don't envy you fishing the weekends!

Pakjohn

pakjohn

BulletTJ - 5/18/2018 11:20 AM

Welcome I have a couple of friends that call Hartwell their home lake. I do agree with you about the fishing pressure on the Chick. I am glad the lake is doing well but I sure do wish it was a lot less crowded.

Thanks for the welcome! Hartwell is not the best bass lake but after Labor Day I could run from north Tugaloo to the dam and not see a boat... I fished almost exclusively for stripers though.

PakJohn

pakjohn

Smalliefan2 - 5/18/2018 11:30 AM

Welcome. Chick is a bit different from Hartwell, a little more color. Lived in Anderson for a couple of years. The bass are bigger also. The view is much better from inside the forum.

Thanks for the welcome! I miss living over there but Chattanooga has fishing down to an art. I'm eager to get better at smallmouth after catching 3 biggish smallies this week right after the flow picked up in the morning. A swim bait and riprap worked fine that morning near the golf clubhouse.

Pakjohn

FishingwithRusty

cool, look forward to your fishing reports.

in my experience herring lakes are great during the herring spawn and pretty frustrating the rest of the year :D

pakjohn

FishingwithRusty - 5/18/2018 2:28 PM

cool, look forward to your fishing reports.

in my experience herring lakes are great during the herring spawn and pretty frustrating the rest of the year :D

Very true about the Bluebacks, on a positive note it's easier to pattern stripes and spots on high pressure clear sky days.

PakJohn

Gator

Welcome! From what I’ve heard G3 makes a great boat.