In the market for my first boat

I’ve been paddling around in my kayak for the past few years now and I think I’m ready for an upgrade. I want to purchase my first bass boat. I think I’ve got two main questions answered. New or used?: new, I think I want the warranties etc. and on top of that I couldn’t look at a used boat and know what’s In good shape or bad. I’m debating between brands. Ranger seems to make a badass foam filled aluminum line. But also considering Alumacraft or tracker? The other thing is components. I could really use some advice on what electronics, trolling motors, and even rear motors that are solid choices.. thanks!

churly

I think new boats are over priced but if financing something is up your alley and the warranty makes you feel better, then go that route. There are a lot of boats out there that are lightly used. any of the newer motor have an ECU and can be read to find out how many hours the motor has. That tells how much use the boat has. Never buy a boat that has been stored outside

jb366

It really depends on how long you plan to keep it and how much you plan to use it. The bigger, better, boat bug bites hard, is incurable, and is very expensive to treat.

FishingwithRusty

personally i buy used, it just doesnt make financial sense to me to pay the ridiculous prices they are asking for new boats now.

as for equipment, here' a list of equipment i would not own a boat without:
Mercury outboard! suzuki would be my second choice
second generation MinnKota Ultrex
Humminbird Helix with SI at console, a second unit is nice to use for mapping but it can be a non SI unit to save some $
Humminbird Helix with DI @ bow with a HB 360, a second unit up front is really better here. one for 360 and one for mapping and DI/2d sonar
you'll need a HB ethernet switch to link all these units
hydrowave
hydraulic jackplate
VT-2 vents
Minnkota talons, 2 of them(having one is like nailing one foot to the floor)

good luck

I had a Tracker as my first boat. It was a solid ride. Wish I still had it for river fishing. The new all-welded hulls are superb. Was low cost option that gave me everything I needed to learn about bass fishing.

If you elect to go w/ a used boat be sure to have it checked out by a certified tech - compression, filters, wiring, TM/power poles/all the accessories. Ask the seller for the maintenance paperwork.

Thanks a ton! This has been super helpful. Already started researching the list of components (thanks a bunch rusty). Really great info that I wouldn’t have thought of.

Rob Lee

Some guys just think they want to be a fisherman and go out and buy a boat with all the bells and whistles only to find out later there not all that in to it. That’s how I found my boat. Great deal. They are out there. You know what they say about the happiest days of a boat owner. Be patient, you will find it.

Gator

I have a friend thinking of selling a nice older Procraft. Call Carl at 423-290-7424.

Aries 181

Jacobmango - 5/20/2018 10:55 PM

New or used?: new, I think I want the warranties etc. and on top of that I couldn’t look at a used boat and know what’s In good shape or bad.
That is why you bring along someone that does know what to look for on a used boat. Sure, it's a crap shoot buying used but you can usually tell how the boat was taken care of. There is no way I would ever buy a new boat with prices like they are. I also would look at private sales over dealers also.

Bill

fischnrod

I'm selling my bass boat you can come and look at it and see if that is what your interested in or not. I don't care if you buy it or not I can show you around the boat and give you an idea of what to look for in a bass boat