Current

GSUbasser

I noticed on the TVA app that Chickamauga is spilling because of all this rain and they were pulling 76,000+ units today for a few hours. At what point does current become a negative effect on ledge fish?

FirstLight

It can get hard to hold the boat in big time current. The fish might still be there if they have a good current break, but targeting them can be tough. Then, sometimes in heavy current the fish will move to the banks taking them off ledges. That’s when it can get fun....

FishingwithRusty

interesting thread, being relatively new to the TVA chain would be curious to hear locals opinions on ideal flow, too much or too little. i do think there comes a point that without a serious current break the fish have to get out of the heavy current or they just expend too much energy to stay there.

i know there have been times when the flow made it difficult to keep the boat in place, gotta get an ultrex :(

churly

50k+ will kill the bite on most main ledges. While it will kill the ledge, other secondary drops can get real good quick.

jb366

It becomes negative when the flow gets too strong for the baitfish and they pull in towards the bank to get out of it. Alot of bass will follow the bait in but alot will also stay out so long as they have a ditch to drop down in or stumps or big rocks they can pull up behind. A good ditch "should" be absolutely loaded with bass right now. The trick is getting a bait in to the ditch and like FirstLight said, keeping the boat out there in position is also a struggle.

derek81

Like Churly said, the main ledge bite will disappear but the secondary stuff out of the main current flow will get good real quick

GSUbasser

since 5:00 last night they have been kicking out 90,000+ I definitely think they will be in very specific spots to try and stay out of that much moving water